In Episode #400, Eric and Neil discuss the pros and cons of hosting your own conference, and why you need to accept the reality that you’re going to lose money at the front-end.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:28 – Today’s topic: Should You Host Your Own Conference?
- 00:36 – If you’re just starting out, the best option is to stay away from conferences
- 00:40 – The conference business is difficult and you’ll probably lose money
- 00:48 – Eric personally thinks that conferences aren’t that valuable
- 00:51 – Eric shares his experience with Treehouse
- 01:27 – Conferences are exceptionally valuable if—and only if—your business is already making money
- 01:34 – HubSpot has thousands of customers will benefit a lot from holding a conference where they can invite their customers
- 01:56 – Consider hosting a conference only if your business is established and getting $5-6M in ARR
- 02:25 – Alternatively to conferences, you can throw in a dinner or small events
- 03:04 – There are also virtual conferences where you don’t have to spend money on venue and can retail virtual tickets instead
- 03:22 – With a virtual event, the email list that you build can be repurposed
- 03:45 – When you’re starting out, you don’t necessarily have to pay people
- 04:11 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription of Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 04:57 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 05:07 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- If you’re just starting, instead of conferences, try to host dinners or small events.
- Conferences are beneficial if your business is stable and already earning at least $5M in ARR.
- Virtual conferences are also a thing – it’s cost efficient and you can use the leads for future use.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #534, Eric and Neil count out 7 productivity hacks that will help you run your business more efficiently. Tune in to hear these great time-and-energy-saving hacks....
In episode #533, Eric and Neil discuss how to manage clients who are never satisfied and ask for work above and beyond their contract. Tune in for some great advice on how to satisfy clients and remai...
In episode #532, Eric and Neil discuss what to do once your business hits 7 figures. Ultimately, there are two paths you can take. Tune in to hear their advice about optimizing your business for growt...