In episode #524, Eric and Neil discuss what to do when you get hit by a Google algorithm update. Tune in to hear why diversification is so important.
Time-Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: What You Should Do When You Get Hit by a Google Algorithm Update
- [00:42] Eric likes to check Search Engine Roundtable, because they talk about algorithmic updates and signals from different SEO tools (Moz Cast).
- [01:02] He tries to correlate this information with things happening on his site and what steps he can take to fix the problems.
- [01:17] In December, Eric and Neil noticed their search traffic declining. So, they knew an update was happening.
- [01:48] They noticed people who were talking about losing their rankings.
- [01:57] SEroundtable is calling the current algorithm the “Maccabees Update”.
- [02:10] There is a trend where blogs are getting fewer hits. Sometimes you just have to wait it out and weather the storm.
- [02:55] Changing too many things in your content, could have adverse effects.
- [03:10] You don’t want to be reactionary.
- [03:41] Wait it out and follow the advice of the people at sites like SEroundtable.
- [04:13] You have to diversify. If you get hit with an algorithm change, that could be the difference between six or seven figures of business.
- [04:38] Organic traffic at Single Grain is about 60-70%.
- [05:02] To diversify his website, Eric would focus on emails.
- [05:20] Neil gets 50% organic traffic.
- [05:39] Eric tries to diversify further by focusing on the multiple touchpoints you can use to reach out to new followers (YouTube, etc.)
- [06:23] Neil is getting a million views per month.
- [06:50] Paid ads is a great way to get your numbers up. Companies wouldn’t keep spending money unless there was an ROI.
- [07:05] You can use services like Taboola and Outbrain, re-marketing pixels, and social media as marketing channels.
- [07:20] Tweet ten times per day and see if it increases your website traffic. Experiment!
- [07:40] Come up with ways to get increased traffic through your different marketing channels.
- [07:44] Use push notifications.
- [07:57] Drift or Facebook Messenger are great live chat options to gain followers.
- [08:07] You can tie Facebook Messenger in with Zapier.
- [08:21] Use the signals they are using to gauge their traffic and success.
- [08:41] That’s it for today!
- [08:43] Go to singlegrain.com/giveaway if you want to get in on a special giveaway opportunity!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #719, Eric and Neil discuss the efficacy of midrolls. Tune in to hear whether you should drop the midrolls or keep them....
In episode #718, Eric and Neil discuss the reason people don’t buy from your site. Tune in to hear what could be blocking your conversions....
In episode #717, Eric and Neil discuss how much you should spend on marketing software. Tune in to hear why you might be over-spending....