In Episode #10 Eric and Neil help you decide where to start out for your first marketing job. They weigh the pros and cons of an agency or working in house, and they discuss what really matters most—your learning and growth.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:25 – What should your first marketing job be?
- 00:45 – Agency vs. in house
- 01:10 – Where should people should go? – Agency.
- 01:40 – The poker analogy
- 02:10 – Becoming a well-rounded marketer
- 02:45 – Getting into the agency world
- 03:05 – Growth potential
- 03:45 – Break Media
- 04:25 – Agency people typically have higher skills and more experience
- 05:25 – Neil’s experience at a startup
- 06:45 – Where’s the company at?
- 07:10 – “Are you growing or not?”
- 07:30 – Opportunities will continue to come as you learn and grow
- 08:20 – Experience is worth more than the pay
- 08:40 – Subscribe to this podcast and leave a rating and review!
3 Key Points:
- Starting at an agency will give you a better learning environment.
- Your first salary should not be as important as the experience and opportunity for growth.
- Once you get in the door and continue gaining experience, the better opportunities will come.
- Break Media (now Defy Media) – A company that produces online video content
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...