In Episode #10 Eric and Neil help you decide where to start out for your first marketing job. They weigh the pros and cons of an agency or working in house, and they discuss what really matters most—your learning and growth.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:25 – What should your first marketing job be?
- 00:45 – Agency vs. in house
- 01:10 – Where should people should go? – Agency.
- 01:40 – The poker analogy
- 02:10 – Becoming a well-rounded marketer
- 02:45 – Getting into the agency world
- 03:05 – Growth potential
- 03:45 – Break Media
- 04:25 – Agency people typically have higher skills and more experience
- 05:25 – Neil’s experience at a startup
- 06:45 – Where’s the company at?
- 07:10 – “Are you growing or not?”
- 07:30 – Opportunities will continue to come as you learn and grow
- 08:20 – Experience is worth more than the pay
- 08:40 – Subscribe to this podcast and leave a rating and review!
3 Key Points:
- Starting at an agency will give you a better learning environment.
- Your first salary should not be as important as the experience and opportunity for growth.
- Once you get in the door and continue gaining experience, the better opportunities will come.
- Break Media (now Defy Media) – A company that produces online video content
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2188, we talk about our boneheaded YouTube mistake with Marketing School. Tuning in, you’ll find out how Libsyn helped us automate and grow our views, the mistake we made when we stopped...
In episode #2187, we discuss how Eric is using product-led growth for his NFT project. Tuning in, you’ll learn the definition of product-led growth and find out how you can implement it in the world...
In episode #2186, Neil and Eric talk about the ideal content cadence, assuming we had unlimited resources! How much content would we be producing? On what channels? What would our team look like? Tune...