Welcome to The Marketing School Podcast—your resource to learn, grown, and nurture your passion for online marketing! In Episode #4 Eric and Neil center the conversation on, How to Get a Job in Marketing. Enjoy!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:47 – Neil has lots of experience hiring marketers
- 01:03 – Never read resumes—they’re bullshit
- 01:25 – Put wannabe marketers on the hot seat
- 02:25 – If you don’t have your own website, how can you say you’ve ever marketed?
- 03:50 – Hire people to add value, not just fill rolls
- 04:15 – Stand out from the crowd
- 04:54 – Eric’s first marketing job
- 05:29 – Deliver work that is above and beyond
- 05:44 – Don’t obsess about theory in job interviews—share your wins, your actions and results
- 06:22 – The best marketers out there know how to think outside the box
- 07:45 – Creativity is the key to shining
- 08:23 – IF you want to show people you know what you’re talking about—create content for your application, a PDF, a screencast, SOMETHING
- 09:43 – Put yourself in the employers’ shoes—would you hire someone who just gives you a resume or would you hire someone that goes above and beyond?
3 Key Points:
- If it was YOUR company, would you hire someone that just sends you a resume, or would you hire someone that goes above and beyond?
- When you’re trying to get a job in marketing demonstrate that you’ve worked in marketing!—you need to know more than theory.
- Don’t rely on your resume because resumes are bullshit—find a way to stand out!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2466, we broach the topic of using AI for doing outbound. The goal with outbound is to stand out and AI can help you do so. Tune in to discover how AI can be used to customize insights for...
In episode #2465, we investigate the software that can create AI-generated articles to “drive real traffic”. Namely, byword.ai. While AI SEO strategies might have short-term results, we don’t be...
In episode #2464, we explore the question of vanity metrics versus revenue. We look at a particular story of a creator reaching 100 million views on YouTube with only a $900 return. These stats beg th...