Welcome to The Marketing School Podcast—your resource to learn, grown, and nurture your passion for online marketing! In Episode #5 Eric and Neil center the conversation on, The Biggest SEO Mistakes of Their Career. Enjoy!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:38 – Eric kicks off with blackhat, whitehat, and greyhat SEO
- 01:29 – Building low-quality links to a brand-new sites
- 02:00 – Google’s Algorithm’s are smarter than you—they will always find out if something shady is going on
- 02:20 – That being said, it’s worth it to dabble in some “shady” business if it’s your own site as an experiment, to learn about both sides of the coin
- 02:48 – Back in the day, Neil would do whatever it would take to turn quick buck
- 04:12 – Don’t think short-term, you need to think LONG term
- 04:40 – Go whitehat and build for endurance
- 05:05 – Eric talks blackhat SEO in-depth
- 06:01 – Take blackhat tactics and use them in a whitehat matter
- 06:27 – Do not crank low-quality content
- 07:23 – The Google Panda Penalty
- 08:19 – a 35% drop in organic traffic
- 08:30 – Make sure you do a redesign properly or you will get crucified in SEO
- 09:51 – Content is King—it’s a cliché but true
- 10:16 – But you NEED backlinks too
- 10:53 – The two biggest factors to ranking in Google?
- Links and Content
3 Key Points:
- Links and content, links and content, links and content!
- Dabble in blackhat on websites that you own and don’t care about so you can better understand that side of marketing and avoid it on things that matter.
- When it comes to client websites—and websites you care about in general—think long-term and always go whitehat.
The Google Panda Penalty – An SEO penalty Neil was hit with on one of his websites.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2631, We discuss the unconventional success of YouTuber Sam Sulek, who gained 2.31 million subscribers in just one year. Despite defying conventional wisdom, Sulek's daily, long-form worko...
In episode #2630, We discuss the concept of "what's old is new again" in marketing. We highlight the importance of considering industry-specific strategies and adapting them to the current market cond...
In episode #2629, We discuss how to deal with ad fatigue in the ever-evolving world of marketing. We define ad fatigue as the decline in performance due to repetitive ads. Signs of ad fatigue include ...