In Episode #171, Eric and Neil discuss the 7 age-old advertising principles that are still relevant and effective to this day. Tune in to learn how the big companies like Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, and AT&T are still winning in the advertising world because of these key principles that you can start using today.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: 7 Age-Old Advertising Principles that Are Still Relevant Today
- 00:36 – First, write a great headline
- 01:08 – Warren Buffett tells his CEOs to always protect their brand
- 01:22 – Branding is everything and just one mistake could ruin everything
- 01:43 – Third, tell a story
- 01:45 – Stories or advertorials drive people and evokes their emotions
- 02:21 – Fourth, consistency in advertising, regardless of how large your company is or how well-known
- 02:48 – The Rule of Seven explained
- 03:10 – Fifth is from 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing, by Al Ries and Jack Trout:
- 03:41 – The “first mover advantage”
- 04:18 – Sixth is from Don’t Make Me Think by Steve Krug:
- 04:27 – “Think about the user—simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
- 05:00 – Keep marketing campaigns simple
- 05:10 – “The simpler your pitch, the better off you are”
- 05:16 – Seventh, urgency plays a big role
- 05:51 – The sense of urgency compels people to take action
- 06:15 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- In whatever decision you make, you MUST protect your brand.
- Be consistent in advertising and remember the rule of seven.
- RELY on these age-old advertising principles that have been proven—no need to reinvent the wheel.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2408, Neil and Eric give you the recipe for success with any content! With the wide variety of social media channels out there, it can feel overwhelming to create enough content for all of...
In episode #2407, Neil and Eric delve into how to nail a public speaking performance. They are currently in the middle of the speaking season, having just returned from one conference and getting read...
In episode #2406, Eric and Neil explore the question, “When should you hire offshore marketing talent?” Whether your goal is to save money or expand your business across the globe, hiring offshore...