In Episode #171, Eric and Neil discuss the 7 age-old advertising principles that are still relevant and effective to this day. Tune in to learn how the big companies like Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, and AT&T are still winning in the advertising world because of these key principles that you can start using today.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: 7 Age-Old Advertising Principles that Are Still Relevant Today
- 00:36 – First, write a great headline
- 01:08 – Warren Buffett tells his CEOs to always protect their brand
- 01:22 – Branding is everything and just one mistake could ruin everything
- 01:43 – Third, tell a story
- 01:45 – Stories or advertorials drive people and evokes their emotions
- 02:21 – Fourth, consistency in advertising, regardless of how large your company is or how well-known
- 02:48 – The Rule of Seven explained
- 03:10 – Fifth is from 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing, by Al Ries and Jack Trout:
- 03:41 – The “first mover advantage”
- 04:18 – Sixth is from Don’t Make Me Think by Steve Krug:
- 04:27 – “Think about the user—simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
- 05:00 – Keep marketing campaigns simple
- 05:10 – “The simpler your pitch, the better off you are”
- 05:16 – Seventh, urgency plays a big role
- 05:51 – The sense of urgency compels people to take action
- 06:15 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- In whatever decision you make, you MUST protect your brand.
- Be consistent in advertising and remember the rule of seven.
- RELY on these age-old advertising principles that have been proven—no need to reinvent the wheel.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2299, we talk about whether white papers and webinars still work! Moving into the new year, we wanted to share some of our thoughts on the efficacy of these two avenues, and our approach t...
In episode #2298, we speak about Eric's content plan for next year. From more conference appearances to finding a configuration that suits your exact business, there are a number of useful ideas that ...
In episode #2297, we have a look at Neil's content plan for next year. If you want to hear about Neil scaling back on certain aspects of his content creation, and what you should be aiming for in the ...