In episode #723, Eric and Neil count out the 7 lessons they learned from running software companies. Tune in to hear what lessons apply to your business.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: 7 Marketing Lessons We Learned From Running Software Companies
- [00:43] A lot of the lessons Eric and Neil learned, could work for ecommerce and other internet-based businesses.
- [01:05] #1: It’s not all about the conversion plan. Optimize for lifetime value.
- [01:25] People typically pay for software on a month-to-month or annual basis and people often have to renew plans; this is a consistent revenue stream.
- [02:17] #2: It’s all about on-boarding.
- [02:40] First impressions matter and that applies to software, as well.
- [02:53] #3: You end up losing about 5% of your revenue because user’s credit card numbers expire.
- [03:08] To fix this, companies like GoDaddy sign up for a service called Visa and Mastercard Updater; Visa and Mastercard will automatically update user’s credit card details for a small fee.
- [03:50] #4: Use the “Jobs to be done” framework.
- [04:40] Set aside time for customer development.
- [04:48] #5: You only have one shot with customers. If someone uses your product and doesn’t like it, they will never come back.
- [05:07] First opinions tend to stick in the software world.
- [05:42] BuzzSumo and AHREFS did well because they created exceptional products.
- [06:30] #6: Get your pricing right!
- [07:03] Everyone is going upmarket. Charge for the value you think you are delivering.
- [07:23] #7: Pay attention to market trends and conditions.
- [07:30] KissMetrics was getting trounced by a competitor and didn’t adapt quickly enough.
- [08:01] That’s it for today!
- [08:03] If you could take two minutes out of your day, we are trying to improve the listening experience for you, so go to Singlegrain.com/survey and help us gain some insight into what matters to our listeners.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2352, the focus is on tips and tactics for mastering influencer marketing. Neil and Eric discuss the do’s and don’ts of influencer marketing and share some valuable tools that you can ...
In episode #2351, you’ll hear top tips for how to get more newsletter subscribers in 2023. If you think that email is dead, think again because email marketing is one of the most effective ways to g...
In episode #2350, Neil and Eric delve into 5 evergreen SEO tactics that just work! If you want to improve your SEO rankings, this episode covers 5 tactics (plus a bonus one right at the end) that will...