In Episode #35 Eric and Neil debate whether marketing certifications are worth it—and here’s a hint: they’re not! Certifications are much like college degrees. They may get you in the right direction, but they will not give you the real experience that you need.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:24 – Are marketing certifications worth it? No!
- 00:45 – Most certifications take very little effort.
- 01:00 – It teaches you nothing.
- 01:15 – You need practical experience.
- 01:30 – One example of someone on Neil’s team
- 01:50 – It comes down to experience.
- 01:58 – Eric tried to get everyone on his team certified, but that didn’t really help anything.
- 02:35 – You’re better off learning on your own.
- 03:00 – Prove that you have real world skills.
- 03:10 – Certification is a starting point. It does not qualify you.
- 03:30 – Certifications are like college degrees.
- 03:45 – Neil’s friend who hires kids from Stanford.
- 04:05 – They are generating zero sales.
- 04:35 – It’s a resume builder, but it won’t help your business.
- 05:00 – Neil’s first experience with internet marketing as an intern.
- 05:45 – Internships give you real experience.
- 06:05 – Look for a free internship first.
- 06:25 – Employers don’t want to have to hold your hand.
- 07:00 – Don’t waste your time with certifications.
- 07:55 – That’s the end of this episode!
3 Key Points:
- Certifications just teach you how to memorize things.
- You need to get real, practical experience.
- Don’t waste your time with certifications!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2301, we talk about where we see Twitter going in the long term. After Elon Musk's recent acquisition of the social media platform, there has been much activity and speculation about where...
In episode #2300, we share five tools that can help you scale your content production! If you are looking to save time, improve your materials, and keep moving forward, you have come to the right plac...
In episode #2299, we talk about whether white papers and webinars still work! Moving into the new year, we wanted to share some of our thoughts on the efficacy of these two avenues, and our approach t...