In Episode #35 Eric and Neil debate whether marketing certifications are worth it—and here’s a hint: they’re not! Certifications are much like college degrees. They may get you in the right direction, but they will not give you the real experience that you need.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:24 – Are marketing certifications worth it? No!
- 00:45 – Most certifications take very little effort.
- 01:00 – It teaches you nothing.
- 01:15 – You need practical experience.
- 01:30 – One example of someone on Neil’s team
- 01:50 – It comes down to experience.
- 01:58 – Eric tried to get everyone on his team certified, but that didn’t really help anything.
- 02:35 – You’re better off learning on your own.
- 03:00 – Prove that you have real world skills.
- 03:10 – Certification is a starting point. It does not qualify you.
- 03:30 – Certifications are like college degrees.
- 03:45 – Neil’s friend who hires kids from Stanford.
- 04:05 – They are generating zero sales.
- 04:35 – It’s a resume builder, but it won’t help your business.
- 05:00 – Neil’s first experience with internet marketing as an intern.
- 05:45 – Internships give you real experience.
- 06:05 – Look for a free internship first.
- 06:25 – Employers don’t want to have to hold your hand.
- 07:00 – Don’t waste your time with certifications.
- 07:55 – That’s the end of this episode!
3 Key Points:
- Certifications just teach you how to memorize things.
- You need to get real, practical experience.
- Don’t waste your time with certifications!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2359, Neil and Eric share their insights on how to utilize the power of storytelling in marketing. Telling a good story is one of the best ways to capture people’s attention. Tune in as ...
In episode #2358, Neil and Eric explore which marketing jobs will be replaced by AI in 2023. We’ve seen a lot of advancements in AI over the past year, but what will its real-world impact be on mark...
In episode #2357, Neil and Eric break down how to fix your marketing funnel. There are plenty of useful tools that can help you identify where your marketing funnel needs to be improved. The trick is ...