In this special episode, we are joined by Brian Dean to share updates on Backlinko and Exploding Topics. As many of you know, Brian recently sold Backlinko to SEMrush, and in our discussion we hear about how he started the SEO blog, how he excelled in a red ocean with it, some of the most successful SEO strategies he came up with, why course creators are an attractive acquisition for software companies, and lessons he learned during the acquisition. Exploding Topics is Brian’s newer project, and we get to hear how it evolved from an early personal trend spotting project to an acquihire that he subsequently grew. Brain talks about the work he has put into Exploding Topics, shares some numbers around its current success, and also talks about how he approached acquiring the business from Josh Howarth who is now his CTO. In this conversation, we also talk to Brian about life in Lisbon, hear about all the grunt work he did to get ahead, and also get some behind-the-scenes insights into his longstanding relationship with Eric and Neil. Tune in today!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:25] Today’s topic: Brian Dean on Selling to SEMrush, Evergreen SEO Strategies, Exploding Topics, and More.
- [01:10] An introduction to Brian Dean and the story behind Backlinko and Exploding Topics.
- [01:58] Why Brian started Backlinko in 2013 at a time where SEO was already so competitive.
- [04:46] What the Skyscraper Technique is and how it became so famous.
- [06:18] Classic pieces from the Backlinko blog: the Skyscraper Technique and more.
- [07:10] How much traffic Brian was able to generate for Backlinko per month.
- [07:23] The method Brian used to make money from Backlinko through courses.
- [09:16] Being acquired by SEMrush and why course creators are an attractive acquisition for software companies.
- [11:40] Why Brian started Exploding Topics and the main mission of the business.
- [14:24] The story of Brian acquiring what became Exploding Topics and how he went about it.
- [16:16] Numbers around the business: ARR, blog traffic, email list, newsletter subscribers.
- [18:00] How Brian had to ‘eat poopoo’ initially to get ahead.
- [21:44] Brian’s thoughts on the crabs in a bucket mentality on SEO Twitter.
- [23:24] Brian’s experiences traveling and why he ended up in Lisbon.
- [24:50] What media Brian is consuming and why he is not focusing on self-improvement.
- [25:40] Lessons learned from the acquisition around due diligence and relationship with the buyer.
- [28:09] Brian’s favorite tool that isn’t exploding topics.
- [29:00] The best way to find Brian online.
- [29:10] That’s it for today! Don’t forget to rate, review and subscribe!
- [29:10] Go to https://marketingschool.io/live to learn more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with Us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episodes #2303 and #2304, Neil and Eric share 10 marketing tips that actually work! As we head into 2023, we believe that things are going to get harder before they get easier, but there is a silve...
In episode #2302, we discuss how Airbnb’s brand versus search bet is actually paying off. According to the Wall Street Journal, Airbnb’s strategy of slashing ad spending to invest in bran...
In episode #2301, we talk about where we see Twitter going in the long term. After Elon Musk's recent acquisition of the social media platform, there has been much activity and speculation about where...