In this episode, Eric talks with Zeb Evans, Founder, and CEO of ClickUp, about building a four billion-dollar company, the ROI of Superbowl and outdoor ads, and the lessons he learned from FIVE near-death experiences. Tuning in you’ll learn about Zeb’s entrepreneurial journey, how he founded ClickUp, and how it started as an internal tool within his previous company. We discuss the current competitive landscape of productivity tools and why Zeb is dedicated to making a product that will improve people’s lives. Zeb also shares the insights he gained from five near-death experiences and how each one impacted his life. Later we unpack ClickUp’s marketing strategy, the cost of their Superbowl advert, how they used analytics to measure their ROI, and the exciting results they got from it. Zeb also shares how they’ve been measuring brand awareness across the US, the tools and services one can use, and the difference between aided and unaided awareness. Today’s episode is packed with profound insights and crucial marketing tips from a leader in the field who is dedicated to having a positive impact on the world. Make sure you tune in for a fascinating conversation on marketing, building a company, finding balance, and much more!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:20] Today’s topic: Building ClickUp To $4B Company, ROI of Superbowl and Outdoor Ads, Lessons From Near Death 5x
- [00:25] Introducing today’s guest Zeb Evans, Founder, and CEO of ClickUp.
- [00:46] Learn more about Zeb Evans and what led him to found ClickUp.
- [01:35] The competitive world of productivity software and what it’s been like building ClickUp.
- [02:46] Understanding why ClickUp is a uniquely useful productivity tool.
- [04:23] An overview of Zeb’s entrepreneurial journey.
- [05:35] The capital they’ve raised for ClickUp and their ambitions for the company.
- [07:18] Why it still feels surreal to be owning and running a four billion-dollar company.
- [08:04] Learn about Zeb’s first near-death experience and how it introduced him to tech as a career.
- [10:07] Zeb’s second near-death experience and how it helped him choose to drop out of college.
- [11:39] What Zeb’s third near-death experience taught him about his potential.
- [15:03] How Zeb found the source of his seizures after his fourth near-death experience and how it prompted his meditation practice.
- [16:08] Why building a business is incredibly challenging and how to manage your stress.
- [16:58] Zeb’s fifth near-death experience and how it reminded him of the fragility of life.
- [19:57] What Zeb is doing to scale as a CEO right now.
- [22:31] Zeb’s core values and the importance of user experience.
- [24:24] The details of ClickUp’s Superbowl ad.
- [26:08] What analytics revealed about the success of their Superbowl ad.
- [27:01] The importance of brand awareness and how ClickUp is growing theirs.
- [28:45] Tools you can use to measure brand awareness.
- [29:38] Learn how much ClickUp is currently spending on advertising per year.
- [30:10] Zeb’s book recommendation on how to maintain your edge in business and life.
- [30:55] Zeb’s favorite business tool that’s not ClickUp
- [03:20] That’s it for today! Don’t forget to rate, review, and subscribe to this podcast!
- [03:24] Go to https://www.marketingschool.io to learn more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Thich Nhat Hanh on Amazon
- Subscribe to our premium podcast (with tons of goodies!): https://www.marketingschool.io/pro
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with Us:
Discover Latest Episodes
Give us feedback on this new format in the ratings section and include your e-mail for a chance to ask a question live on a Marketing School podcast! Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone....
In episode #2408, Neil and Eric give you the recipe for success with any content! With the wide variety of social media channels out there, it can feel overwhelming to create enough content for all of...
In episode #2407, Neil and Eric delve into how to nail a public speaking performance. They are currently in the middle of the speaking season, having just returned from one conference and getting read...