In Episode #478, Eric and Neil share their own personal checklist for throwing a successful live event. Tune in to hear them discuss whether to use a free venue or one that costs money, the various methods to get the word out about your event, the importance of getting help when planning and running a conference, and why your should focus on building relationships rather than making money.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:28 – Today’s topic: Conferences Are Going to Lose You Money Unless You Follow This Checklist
- 00:34 – Map out how much the venue is going to cost you.
- 00:45 – For their Marketing School Live event they wound up booking one that costs $2,500 instead of a free one because the venue took care of everything.
- 01:20 – If they’d used the free venue, it would have been an inferior experience for the guests.
- 01:29 – You need to have contingencies for how you’re going to get attendees.
- 01:40 – Email blast only works if you’ve segmented your list.
- 01:50 – Partner up with other organizations in the area to get more attendees.
- 02:20 – Invite people from your Meetup group.
- 02:39 – Use ads.
- 02:45 – Use Dux-Soup, an automation tool where you can, for example, hit up all your contacts with “marketing” in their title.
- 03:05 – You’ll lose money if you don’t create the right experience because over time people will come to know you as someone who hosts bad events – and will likely assume that your business isn’t very good, either.
- 04:00 – Get help because it takes a team to run a successful event.
- 04:24 – Eric and Neil’s goal was to break even, not to make money off it.
- 04:39 – If you lose a couple hundred dollars, that’s a win!
- 04:50 – Don’t just measure how much money you make from throwing the event, measure how much you make in total: networking, long-term contracts, etc.
- 05:05 – Build relationships from going to conferences and learn from others who’ve thrown events.
- 05:55 – Marketing School is giving away 90-day FREE trial for Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 06:02 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy
- 06:06 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- A good venue is critical so that you give your event attendees a great experience.
- Plan ahead how you’re going to get attendees to your event – email, partnering up with other organizations, advertising.
- The point is not to make money off of a live event, but to build in-person relationships – which will pay off in the long run.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2466, we broach the topic of using AI for doing outbound. The goal with outbound is to stand out and AI can help you do so. Tune in to discover how AI can be used to customize insights for...
In episode #2465, we investigate the software that can create AI-generated articles to “drive real traffic”. Namely, byword.ai. While AI SEO strategies might have short-term results, we don’t be...
In episode #2464, we explore the question of vanity metrics versus revenue. We look at a particular story of a creator reaching 100 million views on YouTube with only a $900 return. These stats beg th...