In Episode #446, Eric and Neil discuss whether adding more text to a page will always result in increased long-tail traffic. Tune in to learn how to effectively add more text to your content and why you should NOT do it if you’re at rank zero.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Does Adding More Text to a Page Always Result in Increased Long-tail Traffic?
- 00:40 – In most cases, adding more text to a page increases long-tail traffic
- 00:47 – A great example is Abraham Lincoln’s Wikipedia page that continuously grows
- 01:26 – Neil has done tests around adding more text and he saw that the long-tail traffic does, in fact, increase
- 01:33 – The words or phrases should correspond to the content
- 01:51 – If you’re ranking zero and update with more text, you could lose your ranking
- 02:21 – Go to the Google Search Console and check all the words and phrases for which you have impressions and/or low click-through rates and expand on those topics
- 02:41 – After doing a rewrite and republishing, submit your page to the Google Search Console
- 02:55 – Marketing School is giving away 90-day FREE trial to Crazy Egg, which is a visual analytics tool
- 03:26 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy
- 03:08 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Adding text that is irrelevant will negatively affect your traffic.
- If you’re already ranking zero and you add more text to your existing page, you might lose this ranking.
- Expand upon the words or phrases you barely mention to improve your SEO.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...