In episode #674, Eric and Neil discuss the First Mover Advantage. Tune in to hear why being first may not make you the best.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: How First Mover Advantage Can Kill Your Business
- [00:50] Coca-Cola is the beverage king. They are the first mover.
- [01:11] The first mover advantage helped Coke become the dominant brand.
- [01:26] Peter Thiel has a concept that says whoever the first to market is, gets a huge advantage. However, you also end up with a lot of high costs and inefficiency.
- [02:17] Last mover advantage is taking what has been done and improving upon it.
- [02:31] Being the last in is a huge advantage.
- [03:23] Moz was the first marketing tool out there, but other brands that came after have overtaken them.
- [03:35] SEMRush and AHREFS are go-to’s and improved upon what Moz does.
- [03:58] YouTube did really well at first, because they didn’t have to deal with the lawsuits other sites did.
- [04:30] Napster was a great service, but they had to deal with lawsuits and they got destroyed.
- [05:18] As tech evolves, it also gets cheaper.
- [05:30] When Moz released their financial info, it was found that they spent hundreds of thousands on server costs.
- [05:40] This is something you can spend a lot less on now.
- [06:09] That’s it for today!
- [06:13] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...