In Episode #390, Eric and Neil talk about avoiding writer’s block. Tune in to learn how they keep their creative juices flowing even in those moments of low energy and low enthusiasm, and the tools they use to stay productive and focused.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Avoid Writer’s Block
- 00:35 – Writer’s block is when you don’t know what to write
- 00:38 – Neil shares 3 things to do to prevent writer’s block
- 00:42 – Go to BuzzSumo, put in your competitor’s URL and it will show you what’s popular within your space
- 00:58 – Go to Ahrefs and it will show you what drives traffic to your competitors
- 01:09 – Put in words and phrases on Twitter and you’ll see what people are tweeting out
- 01:21 – Ask around or create a survey when you need an idea
- 01:36 – Eric has a Pomodoro app on his phone
- 01:42 – Pomodoro technique lets you focus on something for 25 minutes then a 5-minute break
- 01:48 – Eric uses this app every morning when he’s writing and it’s effective for him
- 02:05 – You always start slow but you find the flow after a few minutes
- 02:23 – Writer’s block is usually due to distractions
- 02:49 – Sometimes, writer’s block happens to Eric and Neil while podcasting
- 03:15 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription of Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 03:52 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 04:05 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- See what the people in your space are talking about, and then write on those ideas.
- Try to stay focused and never let distractions get in the way.
- Writer’s block happens to everyone—the people who accomplish their goals in life are those who find away around their writer’s block.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2186, Neil and Eric talk about the ideal content cadence, assuming we had unlimited resources! How much content would we be producing? On what channels? What would our team look like? Tune...
In episode #2185, Neil and Eric talk about how to hire short-form video editors at scale. There are more opportunities than ever to find and hire freelancers from the comfort of your favorite device, ...
If someone were to ask you about the state of your cash flow, would you be able to give an accurate response? According to today’s guest, Alan Miltz, most companies misunderstand their cash flow, an...