In Episode #145, Eric and Neil teach us how we can do an SEO audit using Google Search Console. Since SEO plays such a valuable part in our content marketing, we need to tighten our SEO campaigns and understand how they work. Learn more about how you can best utilize your audits from Google Search Console and make the changes that drive more traffic to your website faster and more efficiently.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Do an SEO Audit Using Google Search Console
- 00:32 – Make sure you have Google Analytics and Google Search Console installed
- 01:02 – Both are free to install
- 01:50 – Login to your console, then add and verify your website
- 02:04 – Go to search traffic and search analytics and sort by pages
- 02:28 – Tick box on clicks, impressions, position, and click-thru rates
- 02:56 – Change the ticked box from Pages to Queries
- 03:02 – It will show you all the queries that are driving you traffic to that page
- 03:12 – Look for the ones that have high click-thru rates and low position
- 03:27 – See what percentages are higher than normal
- 03:47 – Make sure keywords are in your page, title tags, and meta descriptions
- 04:06 – Look at what you have in the search appearance section
- 04:13 – Have your AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) set up to create a better experience for your visitors
- 05:05 – Have a sitemap for your website
- 05:25 – Check crawl and crawl errors to find out where Google finds errors
- 06:39 – A CDN (content delivery network) solution helps people and Google can access your website faster
- 07:09 – The search traffic section lets you see linkings to your site
- 07:23 – Explore tools like Ahrefs, SEM Rush and Moz if you plan to pursue SEO
- 07:37 – Look at your top linked content and check in with people linking to you
- 08:10 – Look at your traffic in the past 90 days
- 08:35 – Look for missing, duplicate, and short title tags
- 09:27 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Google Analytics and Google Search Consoles are essential tools for SEO audits and they’re free!
- Keywords are of the utmost IMPORTANCE – remember to spread them in your content, metadata, and title tags.
- Double check your crawl errors and fix them so people can access your website faster.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2188, we talk about our boneheaded YouTube mistake with Marketing School. Tuning in, you’ll find out how Libsyn helped us automate and grow our views, the mistake we made when we stopped...
In episode #2187, we discuss how Eric is using product-led growth for his NFT project. Tuning in, you’ll learn the definition of product-led growth and find out how you can implement it in the world...
In episode #2186, Neil and Eric talk about the ideal content cadence, assuming we had unlimited resources! How much content would we be producing? On what channels? What would our team look like? Tune...