In episode #528, Eric and Neil explain how you can be an event speaker without being a household name. Tune in to hear how you can eventually earn money and a following speaking at conferences.
Time-Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: How to Get Paid to Speak Even if Nobody Knows You
- [00:34] Neil shares the story about his early days of public speaking
- [01:00] He didn’t get paid at first and had to cover his own expenses.
- [01:26] A Harvard Football player now gets paid $25,000 for speaking gigs at financial firms regarding sales training.
- [01:33] The football player continuously reached out to every speaker bureau and eventually, they offered him paid gigs.
- [01:42] He also self-publishes books and then mails them out to the companies and people for whom he would like to work.
- [02:10] When you first start out, reach out to different conferences and offer your services.
- [02:26] The first speaking gig that Gary Vee (Gary Vaynerchuk) ever did, he asked for $5,000, because he wasn’t sure what kind of money he could get.
- [02:41] Now, Gary gets $100,000 per event.
- [03:11] Bryan Harris came out with a tool to help people get speaking gigs.
- [03:30] Make a prospect list to help you set your goals.
- [03:37] You can hire telemarketers from Upwork for about $30/hour to help you do cold calling.
- [03:52] It would be worth speaking for free at popular conferences, because it will help you build up your speaker resume.
- [04:34] Neil spoke about Wikipedia at the Search Engine Strategies Conference. He did not generate any revenue, nor did he gain any followers.
- [04:54] After doing a few more events for free, he eventually began to ask for money.
- [05:14] Go to the speaker bureau sites and see where those people are speaking, because those are the conferences that are paying.
- [05:25] Neil charged $5,000 for his first paid gig.
- [05:37] Eventually, he began charging more money.
- [06:03] That’s it for today!
- [06:05] Go to singlegrain.com/giveaway if you want to get in on a special giveaway opportunity!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2189, Neil and Eric discuss some of the best-kept YouTube success secrets! We share what has worked for us, as well as the mistakes we have made and how you can avoid them. You’ll also l...
In episode #2188, we talk about our boneheaded YouTube mistake with Marketing School. Tuning in, you’ll find out how Libsyn helped us automate and grow our views, the mistake we made when we stopped...
In episode #2187, we discuss how Eric is using product-led growth for his NFT project. Tuning in, you’ll learn the definition of product-led growth and find out how you can implement it in the world...