In Episode #460, Eric and Neil discuss how to increase audience retention on YouTube. Tune in to know how long people usually stay engaged in a video, the retention rate you want to aim for, and why visual hooks and valuable content are KEY for holding people’s attention.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Increase Audience Retention on YouTube
- 00:43 – Your watch time matters GREATLY
- 00:48 – Check your analytics section for audience retention data
- 00:54 – Tim Schmoyer, a pro YouTuber, says you want to aim for a 60% plus retention rate
- 01:10 – From Growth Everywhere and Marketing School’s videos, people tend to drop off at 10-20%
- 01:16 – “These are audio files, so that explains it”
- 01:36 – “You need to have visual hooks”
- 02:22 – Eric shares how he fixed their videos on YouTube to make people stay on longer
- 03:02 – Get to the point and make your videos valuable
- 03:24 – Make sure your videos are cut in different ways or angles to keep people’s attention
- 03:41 – Marketing School is giving away 90-day FREE trial to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 03:50 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy
- 03:54 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Watch time on YouTube is one of the biggest factors that impact retention.
- People tend to stay on your videos longer if they find them visually appealing.
- Teach your audience and provide VALUE—that’s how you hold onto them.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2627, We discuss the 'Tiktokification' of social media platforms, where various platforms are adopting features similar to TikTok to capitalize on its success. We emphasize the importance ...
In episode #2626, We discuss the concept of the creativity faucet and how it can help overcome writer's block and generate better content. We suggest using Twitter or reading to get ideas and warm up ...
In episode #2625, We discuss the difference between audience TAM (Total Addressable Market) and revenue TAM. We explain that venture capitalists often look at the total addressable market when investi...