In Episode #460, Eric and Neil discuss how to increase audience retention on YouTube. Tune in to know how long people usually stay engaged in a video, the retention rate you want to aim for, and why visual hooks and valuable content are KEY for holding people’s attention.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Increase Audience Retention on YouTube
- 00:43 – Your watch time matters GREATLY
- 00:48 – Check your analytics section for audience retention data
- 00:54 – Tim Schmoyer, a pro YouTuber, says you want to aim for a 60% plus retention rate
- 01:10 – From Growth Everywhere and Marketing School’s videos, people tend to drop off at 10-20%
- 01:16 – “These are audio files, so that explains it”
- 01:36 – “You need to have visual hooks”
- 02:22 – Eric shares how he fixed their videos on YouTube to make people stay on longer
- 03:02 – Get to the point and make your videos valuable
- 03:24 – Make sure your videos are cut in different ways or angles to keep people’s attention
- 03:41 – Marketing School is giving away 90-day FREE trial to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 03:50 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy
- 03:54 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Watch time on YouTube is one of the biggest factors that impact retention.
- People tend to stay on your videos longer if they find them visually appealing.
- Teach your audience and provide VALUE—that’s how you hold onto them.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #1471, we share seven little-known copywriting hacks! From sentiment analysis tools and swipe files, to the power of headlines and timing, these seven hacks can get your copy from average t...
In episode #1470, we share our views about whether all Google SERP CTRs are created equal. The results for clickthrough rates have changed significantly, especially in terms of educational content sin...
In episode #1469, we talk about how to create a one-man media company. Gone are the days when everybody followed and cared about large corporations: today people are far more interested in connecting ...