In Episode #487, Eric and Neil discuss how to learn copywriting when you suck at writing. Tune in to learn that you don’t have to be an expert writer to be a copywriter. Focus on overcoming objections and solving problems. They also shares books, tools, and helpful resources.
Time-stamped show notes:
- [00:28] – Today’s topic: How to Learn Copywriting When You Suck at Writing
- [00:43] – If you suck at writing, it doesn’t mean you can’t do copywriting to compel people to take action.
- [01:00] – Read Persuasion by Robert Cialdini and The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert.
- [01:53] – Neil is great at copywriting, but not writing. He learned he doesn’t have to be the best writer from Frank Kern.
- [02:26] – You just need to be able to answer the customer’s objection.
- [02:43] – Survey your visitors and find their objections. Use SurveyMonkey or any survey tool.
- [02:49] – Find out why people aren’t converting and answer those objections in your copy.
- [03:08] – Solving people’s problems will make them much more likely to convert.
- [03:27] – AppSumo is based on sending emails. Neville Medhora from Kopywriting Kourse helped Noah Kagan build AppSumo.
- [03:37] – You have to have good copy when sending emails.
- [03:58] – Also check out CopyBlogger and the podcast from John McIntyre and Ben Settle’s emails.
- [04:15] – When looking at copywriting think of the concept of Seinfeld emails: talking about nothing or the story of your day and weaving in your offer.
- [05:14] – Conversion rates are 1 to 3 percent. To get people to convert, you have to create multiple ways to help your customers convert into buyers.
- [06:29] – Talking to people and presenting information in the right scenario can also help with conversion.
- [06:41] – That’s it for today!
- [06:45] – Marketing School is giving away a 90-day FREE trial to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool. Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy.
- [06:53] – You can also learn how to win a one-year subscription to Crazy Egg.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #1772, we talk about why acting rich is the easiest way to go broke! There is a difference between being wealthy, and being rich, and we explore what that means in terms of sustainability a...
In episode #1771, we talk about some easy ways that you can collaborate with big influencers within your budget. There are a few simple strategies that can be employed here, where both parties come aw...
In episode #1770, we explore whether having a newsletter is still a valuable tool in the marketing toolkit. We have been hearing a lot of complaints these days about newsletters performing badly and f...