In Episode #34 Eric and Neil discuss how to perform a competitive analysis. This process is not just a way to steal from your competitors—it’s also a great way to motivate your team to see where you’re lacking and start making changes.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:22 – How you can do a competitive analysis.
- 00:45 – If you use a tool like SEMrush or Ahrefs, you can find top performing pages.
- 01:10 – See what you can steal from those pages.
- 01:45 – An example: Companies using a hub-and-spoke model
- 02:40 – The BuiltWith Tool
- 03:04 – WhatRunsWhere captures your competition’s ads
- 03:20 –SEMrush tells you the keywords your customers are bidding on.
- 04:19 – Using ahrefs to look at a monthly graph and see how many links your competitor is adding
- 05:20 – Moz to compare competitors side by side
- 05:50 – You can show your team where you are lacking and ultimately drive action.
- 06:30 – Go to NeilPatel.com for his social media analysis tool.
- 07:35 – Use SimilarWeb to see even more details of your competitors.
- 08:15 – Don’t do too much at once.
- 08:25 – Pick one category and compare what you’re doing to your competitors.
- 08:45 – See you tomorrow!
3 Key Points:
- Make yourself aware of the resources available to you for competitive analyses.
- Use competitive analysis to drive your own team to change.
- Pick one marketing category at a time to see what your competitors are doing.
- SEMrush, Ahrefs, BuiltWith, WhatRunsWhere, Moz, and SimilarWeb – All valuable resources to help you see what your competitors are doing for their marketing.
- NeilPatel.com – Access to a social media analysis tool
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2143, Neil and Eric unpack how big tech companies are laying people off right now and whether it’s a sign of things to come. Tuning in you’ll learn about the companies that are current...
In episode #2142, Neil and Eric talk about how to hire content creators (TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) Influencer prices have gone up by staggering amounts and you may not be able to afford the on...
In episode #2141, Neil and Eric talk about their weird habits that triple productivity. Learn why Neil doesn’t go to bed without having read all his emails, even if he’s traveling, and why he does...