In Episode #34 Eric and Neil discuss how to perform a competitive analysis. This process is not just a way to steal from your competitors—it’s also a great way to motivate your team to see where you’re lacking and start making changes.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:22 – How you can do a competitive analysis.
- 00:45 – If you use a tool like SEMrush or Ahrefs, you can find top performing pages.
- 01:10 – See what you can steal from those pages.
- 01:45 – An example: Companies using a hub-and-spoke model
- 02:40 – The BuiltWith Tool
- 03:04 – WhatRunsWhere captures your competition’s ads
- 03:20 –SEMrush tells you the keywords your customers are bidding on.
- 04:19 – Using ahrefs to look at a monthly graph and see how many links your competitor is adding
- 05:20 – Moz to compare competitors side by side
- 05:50 – You can show your team where you are lacking and ultimately drive action.
- 06:30 – Go to NeilPatel.com for his social media analysis tool.
- 07:35 – Use SimilarWeb to see even more details of your competitors.
- 08:15 – Don’t do too much at once.
- 08:25 – Pick one category and compare what you’re doing to your competitors.
- 08:45 – See you tomorrow!
3 Key Points:
- Make yourself aware of the resources available to you for competitive analyses.
- Use competitive analysis to drive your own team to change.
- Pick one marketing category at a time to see what your competitors are doing.
- SEMrush, Ahrefs, BuiltWith, WhatRunsWhere, Moz, and SimilarWeb – All valuable resources to help you see what your competitors are doing for their marketing.
- NeilPatel.com – Access to a social media analysis tool
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2359, Neil and Eric share their insights on how to utilize the power of storytelling in marketing. Telling a good story is one of the best ways to capture people’s attention. Tune in as ...
In episode #2358, Neil and Eric explore which marketing jobs will be replaced by AI in 2023. We’ve seen a lot of advancements in AI over the past year, but what will its real-world impact be on mark...
In episode #2357, Neil and Eric break down how to fix your marketing funnel. There are plenty of useful tools that can help you identify where your marketing funnel needs to be improved. The trick is ...