In Episode #34 Eric and Neil discuss how to perform a competitive analysis. This process is not just a way to steal from your competitors—it’s also a great way to motivate your team to see where you’re lacking and start making changes.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:22 – How you can do a competitive analysis.
- 00:45 – If you use a tool like SEMrush or Ahrefs, you can find top performing pages.
- 01:10 – See what you can steal from those pages.
- 01:45 – An example: Companies using a hub-and-spoke model
- 02:40 – The BuiltWith Tool
- 03:04 – WhatRunsWhere captures your competition’s ads
- 03:20 –SEMrush tells you the keywords your customers are bidding on.
- 04:19 – Using ahrefs to look at a monthly graph and see how many links your competitor is adding
- 05:20 – Moz to compare competitors side by side
- 05:50 – You can show your team where you are lacking and ultimately drive action.
- 06:30 – Go to NeilPatel.com for his social media analysis tool.
- 07:35 – Use SimilarWeb to see even more details of your competitors.
- 08:15 – Don’t do too much at once.
- 08:25 – Pick one category and compare what you’re doing to your competitors.
- 08:45 – See you tomorrow!
3 Key Points:
- Make yourself aware of the resources available to you for competitive analyses.
- Use competitive analysis to drive your own team to change.
- Pick one marketing category at a time to see what your competitors are doing.
- SEMrush, Ahrefs, BuiltWith, WhatRunsWhere, Moz, and SimilarWeb – All valuable resources to help you see what your competitors are doing for their marketing.
- NeilPatel.com – Access to a social media analysis tool
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2470, we explain why you’ve been thinking about AI the wrong way, and how you should approach it instead! While using AI for content creation is an incredible advancement, it still requi...
In episode #2469, we talk about how we optimize our travel for maximum output. Conferences and travel go hand in hand and we’ve figured out a few ways to ease the journey and curb jetlag. Tune in to...
In episode #2468, we break down our favorite marketing hack when speaking at conferences. We’ve been on the circuit for a few weeks and want to share our approach to marketing at events. Speaking, t...