In Episode #34 Eric and Neil discuss how to perform a competitive analysis. This process is not just a way to steal from your competitors—it’s also a great way to motivate your team to see where you’re lacking and start making changes.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:22 – How you can do a competitive analysis.
- 00:45 – If you use a tool like SEMrush or Ahrefs, you can find top performing pages.
- 01:10 – See what you can steal from those pages.
- 01:45 – An example: Companies using a hub-and-spoke model
- 02:40 – The BuiltWith Tool
- 03:04 – WhatRunsWhere captures your competition’s ads
- 03:20 –SEMrush tells you the keywords your customers are bidding on.
- 04:19 – Using ahrefs to look at a monthly graph and see how many links your competitor is adding
- 05:20 – Moz to compare competitors side by side
- 05:50 – You can show your team where you are lacking and ultimately drive action.
- 06:30 – Go to NeilPatel.com for his social media analysis tool.
- 07:35 – Use SimilarWeb to see even more details of your competitors.
- 08:15 – Don’t do too much at once.
- 08:25 – Pick one category and compare what you’re doing to your competitors.
- 08:45 – See you tomorrow!
3 Key Points:
- Make yourself aware of the resources available to you for competitive analyses.
- Use competitive analysis to drive your own team to change.
- Pick one marketing category at a time to see what your competitors are doing.
- SEMrush, Ahrefs, BuiltWith, WhatRunsWhere, Moz, and SimilarWeb – All valuable resources to help you see what your competitors are doing for their marketing.
- NeilPatel.com – Access to a social media analysis tool
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #1868, Neil and Eric talk about CRO tips that will help you convert. Whether it’s having a range of payment options or looking at your image quality, there are numerous ways to optimize y...
In episode #1867, Neil and Eric talk about some rules they follow with marketing. From the rule of seven to the 80/20 rule, there is no shortage of top marketing tips for you. Tune in to hear it all!...
In episode #1866, Neil and Eric share seven ways to gamify your social media to gain a following. From contests to giveaways, there are so many creative ways to engage people. You just have to know ho...