In episode #629, Eric and Neil Discuss how to get started in SEO. Tune in to hear what’s changed and how you can get a successful start doing SEO.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: How to Start in SEO
- [00:45] The biggest thing that Eric and Neil are seeing right now is that the path to success has changed.
- [01:18] If you spend a year practicing SEO on your own website, that’s no longer the way to go.
- [01:35] You should practice on someone else’s older website.
- [01:52] Hit up a ton of people offering your services for free.
- [02:00] It’s easier to grow a business than it is to start one.
- [02:25] During a TED Talk Eric saw, a Harvard Professor outlined the three elements of trust: authenticity, empathy, and logic.
- [02:45] When you develop your skills for free, you will eventually earn clients.
- [03:14] You will probably have to email 15-17 people before you get a solid “yes” when it comes to offering your services for free.
- [03:40] Make sure that the person to whom you offer your services is as committed as you are.
- [03:59] Even if you are working for free, make sure you get a contract to get the time that you need.
- [04:38] A semantic search tool was just released from a developer at Google.
- [04:57] Be aware that this is the future of searching and it will affect your SEO.
- [05:42] SEO and Sales are similar.
- [05:58] SEO is trying to sell yourself and get a link.
- [06:04] Victor Antonio has a great YouTube page about sales.
- [06:24] Most new SEO workers focus on traffic from relevant keywords, which Neil thinks is a terrible idea.
- [06:37] Just because you get more relevant traffic, doesn’t mean you get more sales.
- [06:50] Instead, look at Google Analytics, see where your ROI is coming from, focus on increasing traffic to the landing pages with the most revenue.
- [07:21] That’s it for today!
- [07:25] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #1933, Neil and Eric talk about whether your business should have a phone number listed. Having a phone number listed may seem outdated, but testing has shown that simply listing a phone nu...
In episode #1932, Neil and Eric talk about the economics of buying another business versus building. When you’re deciding whether or not to buy a business, the number one question you should ask you...
In episode #1931, Neil and Eric talk about how to profit off your blog without selling out. If you pivot from your original content in order to sell something, there’s a good chance you’ll feel li...