In Episode #278, Eric and Neil discuss how to structure your marketing team. Tune in to learn what you can do to improve your marketing team and the disadvantages of growing your team too big, too quickly.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Structure Your Marketing Team
- 00:50 – With startups today, there is a growth team, growth lead, and VP of growth
- 01:37 – Some companies who have growth or marketing teams forget to have engineers, developers or designers
- 02:12 – Make sure you have designers and engineers that can work with the marketing team
- 02:20 – Neil wants to hire just one person who is a good executor and knows what they’re doing
- 02:27 – That one person can hire contractors who will get things done for them
- 02:41 – As the team grows, the contractors are hired in-house and they become full-time employees
- 02:50 – In Crazy Egg, the first guy was Shawn and the team grew to 4 or 5
- 03:04 – When you add too many people at once, everything will slow down
- 03:15 – Neil provides his marketing team with contractors from Europe who are cheap and quick at designing things
- 03:31 – Neil hires just one engineer for marketing
- 03:43 – Eric goes through Behance and Dribbble to find creative people
- 04:04 – There are a lot of landing pages in Product Hunt that you can draw inspiration from
- 04:21 – Eric also asks around
- 04:28 – “Keep your team small”
- 04:46 – It is a struggle for many businesses to find that one marketing person who can execute a lot of tasks
- 05:01 – Ideally, find a marketer who is on their way up
- 05:24 – You should be out there, constantly recruiting great teams
- 05:35 – Marketing School is giving away access to Yesware, a sales tool that allows you to track the messages you send
- 05:53 – Subscribe, rate and review Marketing School
- 05:58 – Text MARKETINGSCHOOL to 33444
- 06:29 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- There should be at least one designer, developer or engineer in a marketing team.
- Keep your team small – a big team costs too much and might slow down your processes.
- Find a marketer who’s already on their way, even if they will only stay with you for a year.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2412, we discuss how this plus ChatGPT will turbocharge your marketing results. When we say “this,” we’re referring to our process, which starts with recording the podcast you’re l...
In episode #2411, we talk about one easy way to skyrocket your conversions. We believe that conversion rate optimization (CRO) is one of the biggest leverage points in marketing, but it’s often over...
In episode #2410, we discuss why batching content can actually hurt you sometimes. As you may already know, Eric and Neil batch content for this podcast, sometimes up to four or five weeks in advance....