In episode #511, Eric and Neil discuss how it’s possible to turn a failing company around. Tune in to hear their advice for turning shit into sugar.
Time-Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: How to Turn Shit into Sugar
- [00:32] Before Eric worked for Single Grain, they were an SEO agency. When Google made adjustments, Single Grain turned to shit, because what they were doing no longer worked.
- [01:00] When Eric took over, the balance was negative.
- [01:31] In the first year, his podcast was only getting nine downloads per day, but he kept going because he knew something great was beginning to happen.
- [01:49] He knew he would make things happen if he stuck to his goals.
- [02:04] Eric was afraid to lay people off, but when things are shitty, you have to make quick decisions in order to turn things around.
- [02:22] Getting help from his peers was extremely helpful.
- [02:39] Neil has learned that anytime you think you can turn shit into sugar, it doesn’t happen overnight.
- [03:02] Analyze your business and its problems. Set goals to attack the issues.
- [03:32] It typically takes well over a year to turn a company around.
- [03:49] When things are really bad, you can fix it if you don’t give up and have a good team around you.
- [04:11] The numbers should start improving once you have goals and people in place.
- [04:21] When Eric was leading the marketing team at another company, they only had funding for another five months.
- [04:42] He decided to cut everything on the marketing side and focus on the one thing that had the potential to be effective.
- [04:54] He bet the entire company on one marketing channel.
- [05:03] Sometimes, you have to have to the guts and focus to bet it all on one channel. Once it works, you can expand your approach.
- [05:24] Eric recommends learning how to play poker; it may help you learn how to deal with ups and downs.
- [05:40] Neil recommends you read Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business, because it will help you turn your shit into sugar; it will help you organize your plan of attack.
- [06:15] That’s it for today!
- [06:17] Eric and Neil recommend the Problem Solvers podcast, because there is a great episode about the Hello Fresh CEO. To listen go to singlegrain.com/solve.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2473, we talk about where consumer confidence sits right now. The global economy has had to adapt to some pretty major events over the past three years, from a worldwide pandemic to the wa...
In episode #2472, we talk about how to truly scale AI in your organization! It feels like everyone is racing to implement AI, but is this the best strategy for business owners? Tune in to hear how we ...
In episode #2471, we’re looking at the format dominating 92.7% of Facebook posts! We’re referring, of course, to reels. Short-form content has proven to be effective across all platforms and seems...