In Episode #289, Eric and Neil discuss how to use dropped domains to enhance your SEO. Tune in to learn how to maximize those dropped domains and why it is better to use an established website rather than dropped domains if you have the cash to spend.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Use Dropped Domains to Enhance Your SEO
- 00:48 – Dropped domains are abandoned or expired domains
- 01:07 – Eric has been buying domains that have worked well and has a good number on Ahrefs
- 01:12 – What Eric does is he takes the site, takes the top pages and redirects it over to his money site
- 01:22 – The site that Eric bought has keywords that they’re targeting, at the moment
- 01:30 – Neil also learned something from this
- 01:48 – If you already have a popular site, you will not gain from this doing this technique—it’s not for you
- 01:57 – The technique that Eric uses works, but the dropped domain must relate to what you are doing
- 02:05 – You can use Internet Archive to see what the site used to be
- 02:11 – You don’t want to have a dog website then get redirected to a marketing website
- 02:36 – You can buy dropped domains from GoDaddy
- 02:45 – You can go to GoDaddy.com and they have the list of auctioned domains
- 02:51 – You have to filter through the list to see the sites that have the most bids, offers, traffic and then take the site to Ahrefs to see if it is relevant to yours
- 03:13 – Go to Wayback Machine to see what the website used to be in the past
- 03:53 – There are website brokers like FE International and Flippa if you’re willing to buy a more established site
- 04:11 – Doing this with a more established website is way better than using dropped domains
- 04:15 – Most people buy dropped domains and put a website on there or they take the domain to redirect traffic to their site
- 04:36 – If you think of the black hat SEO that works, why not just do it in a white hat way?
- 05:11 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription to Design Pickle, a design service where Eric gets unlimited designs for blog and ad images
- 05:33 – Subscribe, rate and review Marketing School
- 05:30 – Text MARKETINGSCHOOL to 33444
- 06:03 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Choose a dropped domain that is relevant to your site.
- Don’t just buy a well performing website – make sure that it targets your market, is consistent and has the keywords that you’re needing.
- You can use black hat SEO in a white hat way.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2298, we speak about Eric's content plan for next year. From more conference appearances to finding a configuration that suits your exact business, there are a number of useful ideas that ...
In episode #2297, we have a look at Neil's content plan for next year. If you want to hear about Neil scaling back on certain aspects of his content creation, and what you should be aiming for in the ...
In episode #2296, Neil and Eric talk about how they have been leveraging AI writers. There have been a lot of developments in the AI space recently, but we are only just starting to uncover how to opt...