In Episode #173, Eric and Neil discuss how you can write a killer blog post. Many people can slap a string of coherent sentences together and call it a blog—but, can they capture their readers’ attention? Tune in as Eric and Neil reveal solid suggestions for creating a blog that will entice and hook an audience. From your title to the images place amidst your text, all these details count.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Write a Killer Blog Post
- 00:35 – Write a great headline and continue the thought in the first few sentences to hook the readers
- 00:59 – Go to Copyblogger for the headline formula
- 01:15 – Think of blogging as a presentation or a classroom lecture
- 01:33 – Engage with your readers
- 01:46 – Start with a conversation
- 01:57 – Neil shares a sample conversation in a blogpost
- 03:08 – Use sub-headers or bullets to keep things organized
- 03:45 – Eric shares an example that can get readers hooked
- 04:08 – Add media to your blog post
- 04:32 – Eric uses DesignPickle for his images
- 04:50 – Have a conclusion heading
- 05:22 – All claims should be backed up by case study or research links
- 06:00 – If you have data that can separate you, the better, because it can’t be replicated easily
- 07:07 – Make your blog readable
- 07:17 – Design should be responsive and text should be clear
- 08:20 – Neil Patel’s Quicksprout
- 08:30 – Neil reads Tech Crunch, TMZ, CNN and other sites to give him creative ideas that he can leverage on his own website
- 09:00 – Eric checks Wallstreet Journal, copyblogger, and problogger
- 09:20 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Blog posts are not just about the text—a catchy photo or video can entice people to read it.
- Simple, but powerful—overly decorated posts can easily turn off the reader.
- Read a lot and a variety or written work as this feeds your creative inspiration.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2188, we talk about our boneheaded YouTube mistake with Marketing School. Tuning in, you’ll find out how Libsyn helped us automate and grow our views, the mistake we made when we stopped...
In episode #2187, we discuss how Eric is using product-led growth for his NFT project. Tuning in, you’ll learn the definition of product-led growth and find out how you can implement it in the world...
In episode #2186, Neil and Eric talk about the ideal content cadence, assuming we had unlimited resources! How much content would we be producing? On what channels? What would our team look like? Tune...