In Episode #147, Eric and Neil discuss the how, when and why of rebranding. The decision to restructure your brand requires a lot of upfront deliberation and Eric and Neil walk you through that very discussion. Tune in to find out the scenarios in which you SHOULD rebrand and how to make that transition as smooth as possible for your existing clientele.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How, When and Why to Rebrand Your Business
- 00:36 – Moz (formerly known as SEO Moz) took the “SEO” out of their name to show they were branching out in other fields
- 01:01 – There’s a lot to consider with rebranding such as site migration
- 01:18 – Neil doesn’t like rebranding
- 02:13 – What is your reason to rebrand?
- 02:17 – “Think about what people are coming to you for”
- 02:46 – Neil shares about Coca-cola’s rebranding
- 03:10 – Is the audience open for rebranding?
- 03:38 – Rebranding can also mean changing your image
- 04:10 – Burberry changed their endorsements and, in turn, changed the image of their brand
- 04:36 – Target used to be a discount store, but changed how they do business which resulted in a change of their brand
- 04:57 – Eric mentions how his co-founder manages his own branding
- 05:31 – Slowly transition your audience as you do not want to lose your current audience
- 06:32 – Description of Single Grain before Eric came in
- 07:09 – Have a healthy balance from the old brand to the new one
- 07:23 – Survey your audience to know if you’re on the same path
- 07:58 – Changing your domain name will likely have you lose some traffic
- 08:18 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- First, you need to assess if a rebrand is necessary and advantageous for you.
- Rebranding is not only about changing the look or name of your business – it can be done by changing your processes or endorsements.
- Transitioning does NOT have to be done quickly – give your audience time to transition WITH you and your business.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2302, we discuss how Airbnb’s brand versus search bet is actually paying off. According to the Wall Street Journal, Airbnb’s strategy of slashing ad spending to invest in bran...
In episode #2301, we talk about where we see Twitter going in the long term. After Elon Musk's recent acquisition of the social media platform, there has been much activity and speculation about where...
In episode #2300, we share five tools that can help you scale your content production! If you are looking to save time, improve your materials, and keep moving forward, you have come to the right plac...