In episode #581, Eric and Neil explain how you can beat your established, monied competition. Tune in to hear steps you can take to beat your competitors at their own game!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: How You Can Beat Your Competition When They Have More Money and Have Been in Business Longer
- [00:36] Neil gives away stuff for a cheaper price.
- [00:49] You can always undercut your competitors by offering the same thing for less.
- [01:16] Use the newest and greatest tech, because the competitors are probably using old, archaic technology.
- [01:26] Neil is going to do this to compete with Moz. Moz charges $99/month for their SEO tool, so he’s going to offer his SEO tool for FREE.
- [01:44] He can do what their doing for under $10,000.
- [02:01] These other companies have boards, executive teams, etc. While Neil can make decisions and act more quickly, because he doesn’t have to have all these groups weigh in.
- [02:16] Go where the competitors aren’t going.
- [02:25] These other agencies aren’t doing content marketing, podcasts, speaking engagements, or releasing tools. Zig where they zag.
- [03:00] Dropbox wasn’t the first cloud in the game, but they offered their services for free!
- [03:10] Take your existing users and get them to help promote you for a reward.
- [03:45] Eric recommends reading Zero to One, which will help you figure out other avenues of marketing and competition.
- [04:05] When you want to beat your competition, if you are starting out, it’s a good idea to niche down.
- [04:35] When you’re competing with bigger companies, look at what they are not focusing on.
- [04:52] Translate your services into other languages and markets, which will help you remain competitive and may be a smaller pool.
- [05:30] Neil does this and finds there is less competition abroad and is winning in those markets.
- [05:43] That’s all for today!
- [05:48] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...