In episode #579, Eric and Neil explain how you can create great content when you suck at writing. Tune in to hear great tips on creating killer content with less-than-stellar writing skills.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: How You Can Leverage Content Marketing When You Suck at Writing
- [00:45] Just because you’re not good at writing, it’s ok! Everyone starts somewhere.
- [01:04] Think about your strong suit (what Eric calls your “content foundation”) and build out from there.
- [01:15] If Eric and Neil didn’t like writing, they could have just started with this podcast.
- [01:25] They have the podcast transcribed by Rev and they also get shownotes written by Podcast Motor; this means that things are being written without them having to write a single word.
- [01:46] Go to Jobs.problogger.net and hire a writer.
- [02:12] Use short and to the point paragraphs; this makes it easier to skim.
- [02:27] Use subheadings in your posts.
- [02:32] You need to have an intro with a hook.
- [02:55] A strong headline is key to getting readers.
- [03:22] Copyblogger will give you some examples of great headline formulas.
- [03:41] When you hire a writer, always give them an outline and make sure to get on the phone with them, so you’re on the same page.
- [04:06] You don’t have to be a good writer, you just have to be able to communicate well with a good writer.
- [04:25] Gary Vee doesn’t even write his own blogs; he gives ideas and outlines, but the content is written by someone else.
- [05:01] If you’re producing content, use the content re-usage workflow as a framework.
- [05:28] Content marketing is a 12-18 month journey from inception to results.
- [05:35] If you’re not the best writer and you can’t afford to hire someone, use Eric and Neil’s framework and just go out and write. The more you write, the better at it you will get.
- [05:55] You may notice that Neil has awful grammar and cannot spell; it’s ok, because he is providing valuable information.
- [06:35] That’s it for today!
- [06:38] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...