In Episode #282, Eric and Neil discuss if it is important to become Google certified. Tune in to learn what Eric received from his Google certification, the importance of creating a culture of learning in your business, and why Neil believes being creative is a KEY trait for success.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Is It Important to Become Google Certified?
- 00:34 – Neil thinks it’s not important and that it’s actually useless
- 00:42 – Eric got certified a couple of years ago
- 01:10 – “Any person can learn how to use Google AdWords”
- 01:20 – The hard part in becoming a really good PPC manager is being creative
- 01:27 – Google AdWords’ certification can’t make you creative
- 01:36 – Neil is lucky enough to be creative and he thinks outside the box
- 02:00 – Eric looks at the certifications of juniors before hiring them, just so he knows that they have the baseline knowledge
- 02:31 – It is the same thing with people who have a bachelor’s degree
- 02:52 – Having a certificate doesn’t mean that you’re going to be good at it
- 03:10 – Google account reps don’t really know about the accounts and just want people to spend more
- 03:24 – Most of Neil’s employees are from Ivy League schools and most of them haven’t worked out that well
- 03:44 – They’re better in memorizing than solving problems that are out-of-the-box
- 04:02 – Neil’s CTO in Crazy Egg doesn’t have a college degree, but is one of the smartest people Neil knows
- 04:10 – Neil has also hired people who have no certification, but “out-knowledged” those he hired with certificates
- 04:30 – Eric is more interested with those who are willing to learn
- 05:08 – Marketing School is giving away an access to Yesware, a sales tool that allows you to track the messages you send
- 05:20 – Subscribe, rate and review Marketing School
- 05:22 – Text MARKETINGSCHOOL to 33444
- 05:40 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Creativity is what WINS in the end.
- Create a culture of learning in your business.
- When hiring, don’t just look at certifications—how well can that applicant problem solve or apply their knowledge?
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2627, We discuss the 'Tiktokification' of social media platforms, where various platforms are adopting features similar to TikTok to capitalize on its success. We emphasize the importance ...
In episode #2626, We discuss the concept of the creativity faucet and how it can help overcome writer's block and generate better content. We suggest using Twitter or reading to get ideas and warm up ...
In episode #2625, We discuss the difference between audience TAM (Total Addressable Market) and revenue TAM. We explain that venture capitalists often look at the total addressable market when investi...