In episode #1128, we discuss whether TikTok is the next big thing. Tune in to hear if you should be investing in this social platform.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:25] Today’s topic is whether TikTok is the next big thing.
- [00:30] TikTok is a social network that’s very popular in Asia and is climbing in the rankings on App Annie, which does metrics on revenue and other stats.
- [00:50] TikTok is on its way to making over $100 million and their valuation is in the billions of dollars.
- [01:00] The app does short videos, and people are creating funny content including music videos.
- [01:20] Their typical user drops off after 30 days, which is a problem.
- [01:34] One of the biggest Chinese tech conglomerates owns it and has put over $1 billion into it.
- [01:49] Platforms that aren’t sticky and aren’t retaining users tend to end up as fads.
- [01:56] Neil points out that marketers are always wondering if they should adopt the newest social media platform for their business.
- [02:05] It’s probably only worth the time and effort if a platform has continued to prove its popularity.
- [02:25] Even if your business isn’t using Instagram yet, it’s not too late because you don’t have to be the first to adopt a social media platform.
- [02:40] You should wait to leverage a platform until it hits the mainstream and you know it will work for you, and TikTok is not at that level yet.
- [02:56] Their user count is growing but they don’t have the reach that Facebook has.
- [03:03] With poor user retention, TikTok’s user count will probably stagnate and then start to drop.
- [03:30] Neil and Eric don’t think TikTok is the next big thing, but maybe it could be bigger one day.
- [03:38] A great social media network to leverage right now is WhatsApp.
- [03:49] That’s it for today!
- [03:55] To stay updated with events and learn more about our mastermind, go to the Marketing School site for more information.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #1201, we talk about how Eric Siu gets ahead of his competitors! From attending events and going to bed early, Eric has a bunch of helpful tips and possible jumpstarts for you and your busi...
In episode #1200, we talk about how Neil Patel gets ahead of his competitors! From working in the holidays, allowing small amounts of downtime, and mapping out partnerships, Neil has some great strate...
In episode #1199, we talk about a few books that can help you and your brand in 2020! We share some choices that deal with customers, coaching, ambition and more, while also considering the benefits o...