In episode #874, we discuss key marketing lessons we learned from the Red Bull vs. Monster Energy beverage war. Tune in to hear what lessons can be derived from this story.
We have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Key Marketing Lessons Learned From Red Bull Vs. Monster Energy Drink
- [00:55] Red Bull isn’t just a drink, but a brand.
- [01:03] A few years ago, they had a man ride a balloon near the Earth’s atmosphere and jump.
- [01:26] Red Bull got $100 Million in earned media from this stunt and their stock price jumped 7%.
- [01:40] Red Bull focuses on a simple product and extreme marketing.
- [02:00] Red Bull is all about building a community.
- [02:45] They love putting their logo on cars, teams, etc.
- [03:15] Monster is smaller. They came from Hanson Juices.
- [03:45] They rebranded from Hanson Energy to Monster Energy.
- [04:05] Red Bull owns 43% of the market share, while Monster owns 39%.
- [04:15] What works for one, may not work for another.
- [04:30] Consider that what works for your competitors may not work for you.
- [04:35] Use last-mover’s advantage: find the gaps in the market and fill them in.
- [05:20] 5 Hour Energy Drink looked at the market and filled in the gaps.
- [05:40] 5 Hour Energy is marketed towards 9-5er’s.
- [06:00] That’s it for today!
- [06:05] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting. Also rate and review to help us meet our goal of 1 Million downloads per month. Hopefully, we’ll see you at the live event in L.A.!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2411, we talk about one easy way to skyrocket your conversions. We believe that conversion rate optimization (CRO) is one of the biggest leverage points in marketing, but it’s often over...
In episode #2410, we discuss why batching content can actually hurt you sometimes. As you may already know, Eric and Neil batch content for this podcast, sometimes up to four or five weeks in advance....
In episode #2409, Neil and Eric talk about how YouTube and Spotify are changing the podcast game. You might think that with five to 10 million podcasts in existence, the world of podcasts is saturated...