In episode #815, Eric and Neil discuss their failed attempts at content marketing. Tune in to learn from their mistakes.
Eric and Neil have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: My Failed Attempt at Content Marketing
- [00:40] Whenever a new game comes out, there are marketers who jump at the chance to write guides for the hottest releases.
- [00:57] Eric was one of those people and when Portal 2 came out, he made a website that served as a guide for the game.
- [01:05] He then decided he was going to write crappy articles and then get a bunch of links from black hat websites.
- [01:27] His traffic spiked, but then after a week, Google caught on to him and his site and traffic ceased.
- [01:44] Neil’s worst attempt at content marketing was creating a form called, “Traffic and Conversion”.
- [01:58] He got hit by a webmaster notification tool that said his content was spammy.
- [02:04] He realized a lot of people were spamming his form, so he cleaned it up.
- [02:11] The lesson he learned was that user-generated content doesn’t rank as well as original, curated material.
- [03:19] It takes time to build a following and a lot of it comes down to promotion.
- [03:31] Content and links are the most important factors of SEO.
- [03:45] You have to figure out how to promote your site, product, content. Etc.
- [03:57] Promotion always matters.
- [04:00] Another of Neil’s failed attempts was with a site “Online Poker Lowdown”.
- [04:05] He ranked on page one for the term “online poker”, but it dropped because there was very little useful information.
- [05:00] Quality matters!
- [05:06] If your content sucks, you will lose your ranking.
- [05:45] Instead of hustling, create content about topics you like.
- [06:19] That’s it for today!
- [06:24] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting. Also rate and review to help Eric and Neil meet their goal of 1 Million downloads per month. Hopefully, we’ll see you at the live event in L.A.!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2412, we discuss how this plus ChatGPT will turbocharge your marketing results. When we say “this,” we’re referring to our process, which starts with recording the podcast you’re l...
In episode #2411, we talk about one easy way to skyrocket your conversions. We believe that conversion rate optimization (CRO) is one of the biggest leverage points in marketing, but it’s often over...
In episode #2410, we discuss why batching content can actually hurt you sometimes. As you may already know, Eric and Neil batch content for this podcast, sometimes up to four or five weeks in advance....