In episode #808, Eric and Neil discuss their early failures. Tune in to hear what not to do if you want long-term success.
Eric and Neil have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: My Failed Attempt at SEO
- [00:38] When Eric started doing SEO, he wanted to white and black hat stuff.
- [00:55] He made a website called Lightshow Videos.
- [01:10] WIthin a month or so, he was ranked #1 for lightshow videos.
- [01:20] However, it doesn’t matter where you rank if you don’t get any volume.
- [01:40] Neil’s first site was a job board.
- [01:47] He realized the sites that had the most amount of traffic, had the most pages.
- [02:00] He scraped Google and looked for the most popular pages, then recreated those on his site.
- [02:05] He then started getting thousands of visitors per month.
- [02:14] Once he added Ad Sense, Google then became wise to his scheme and his traffic slowed down.
- [03:00] Eric once made a website about getting rid of pimples.
- [03:15] He hired writers off of Text Brokers and had them write 300-500 word articles.
- [03:30] Traffic slowly increased, but then remained stagnant.
- [03:50] Eric learned that you get what you pay for: quality matters!
- [04:22] Don’t get too greedy with link building.
- [04:31] Neil acquired a site called “Battlefield Bypass”, which was a park that was once the site of a Civil War battle. The site had a bunch of government backlinks.
- [04:41] Then he moved on to online casinos.
- [05:00] Neil would dominate rankings by backlinking to popular sites.
- [05:30] He was getting results, but it would only last for a couple of months.
- [05:55] The point is: Aim for long-term success.
- [06:09] That’s all for today!
- [06:18] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting. Also rate and review to help Eric and Neil meet their goal of 1 Million downloads per month. Hopefully, we’ll see you at the live event in L.A.!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
Today we have a special bonus episode with special guest April Dunford author of Obviously Awesome!...
In episode #1570, we bring you part one of our three-part series on paid newsletters: Why you should start a subscription newsletter in 2021! People want to learn specialized skills these days, so hig...