In episode #808, Eric and Neil discuss their early failures. Tune in to hear what not to do if you want long-term success.
Eric and Neil have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: My Failed Attempt at SEO
- [00:38] When Eric started doing SEO, he wanted to white and black hat stuff.
- [00:55] He made a website called Lightshow Videos.
- [01:10] WIthin a month or so, he was ranked #1 for lightshow videos.
- [01:20] However, it doesn’t matter where you rank if you don’t get any volume.
- [01:40] Neil’s first site was a job board.
- [01:47] He realized the sites that had the most amount of traffic, had the most pages.
- [02:00] He scraped Google and looked for the most popular pages, then recreated those on his site.
- [02:05] He then started getting thousands of visitors per month.
- [02:14] Once he added Ad Sense, Google then became wise to his scheme and his traffic slowed down.
- [03:00] Eric once made a website about getting rid of pimples.
- [03:15] He hired writers off of Text Brokers and had them write 300-500 word articles.
- [03:30] Traffic slowly increased, but then remained stagnant.
- [03:50] Eric learned that you get what you pay for: quality matters!
- [04:22] Don’t get too greedy with link building.
- [04:31] Neil acquired a site called “Battlefield Bypass”, which was a park that was once the site of a Civil War battle. The site had a bunch of government backlinks.
- [04:41] Then he moved on to online casinos.
- [05:00] Neil would dominate rankings by backlinking to popular sites.
- [05:30] He was getting results, but it would only last for a couple of months.
- [05:55] The point is: Aim for long-term success.
- [06:09] That’s all for today!
- [06:18] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting. Also rate and review to help Eric and Neil meet their goal of 1 Million downloads per month. Hopefully, we’ll see you at the live event in L.A.!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2630, We discuss the concept of "what's old is new again" in marketing. We highlight the importance of considering industry-specific strategies and adapting them to the current market cond...
In episode #2629, We discuss how to deal with ad fatigue in the ever-evolving world of marketing. We define ad fatigue as the decline in performance due to repetitive ads. Signs of ad fatigue include ...
In episode #2628, We discuss why we are focusing more on written content and how it helps us create other types of content. We've found that creating written content, particularly in the form of tweet...