In episode #1020, we discuss Neil’s billion dollar mistake. Tune in to hear where Neil went wrong.
We have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles. Check out the details on this website if you would like to attend. Remember: we are capping the event at 500 people, so sign up now, if you’re interested! DM Eric if you would like to participate in the VIP dinner.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Neil’s Billion Dollar Mistake
- [00:40] Kissmetrics was part of the mistake.
- [01:05] Neil’s former partner broke down their mistake in a blog post on Product Habits.
- [01:28] They built a product they thought was needed.
- [01:40] They learned no matter what you build, people don’t want to pay for things.
- [01:55] Version 2 required too much customization.
- [02:40] They found people couldn’t get a lot of value out of their Google Analytics.
- [03:05] Neil and his partner just needed to find what the gaps were, but it took them too long.
- [03:50] Kissmetrics feel behind the crowd.
- [04:10] They would often change directions, which was not a good idea and not great for the team.
- [04:30] They should have executed quickly, but they didn’t or couldn’t.
- [05:20] Neil thinks they made too many mistakes.
- [05:30] The biggest issue was a class action litigation.
- [06:00] They can only blame themselves.
- [06:04] They spent too many years building the wrong product and didn’t know how to innovate.
- [06:06] That’s it for today!
- [06:17] Don’t forget to check out Single Grain for more info about our free live event in June.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2572, we explore the ins and outs of virtual summits and investigate whether they are still relevant today. Virtual Summits can be a great way to build community, foster connection, and ge...
In episode #2571, we delve into a recent Harvard case study that looks at how humans using AI can outperform humans who aren’t using AI — by a large margin! With so many changes and advancements t...
In episode #2570, we unpack X’s partnership with Google to sell programmatic ads. There have been a lot of changes at X, formerly known as Twitter, from their controversial name change to their newl...