In episode #1020, we discuss Neil’s billion dollar mistake. Tune in to hear where Neil went wrong.
We have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles. Check out the details on this website if you would like to attend. Remember: we are capping the event at 500 people, so sign up now, if you’re interested! DM Eric if you would like to participate in the VIP dinner.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Neil’s Billion Dollar Mistake
- [00:40] Kissmetrics was part of the mistake.
- [01:05] Neil’s former partner broke down their mistake in a blog post on Product Habits.
- [01:28] They built a product they thought was needed.
- [01:40] They learned no matter what you build, people don’t want to pay for things.
- [01:55] Version 2 required too much customization.
- [02:40] They found people couldn’t get a lot of value out of their Google Analytics.
- [03:05] Neil and his partner just needed to find what the gaps were, but it took them too long.
- [03:50] Kissmetrics feel behind the crowd.
- [04:10] They would often change directions, which was not a good idea and not great for the team.
- [04:30] They should have executed quickly, but they didn’t or couldn’t.
- [05:20] Neil thinks they made too many mistakes.
- [05:30] The biggest issue was a class action litigation.
- [06:00] They can only blame themselves.
- [06:04] They spent too many years building the wrong product and didn’t know how to innovate.
- [06:06] That’s it for today!
- [06:17] Don’t forget to check out Single Grain for more info about our free live event in June.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2412, we discuss how this plus ChatGPT will turbocharge your marketing results. When we say “this,” we’re referring to our process, which starts with recording the podcast you’re l...
In episode #2411, we talk about one easy way to skyrocket your conversions. We believe that conversion rate optimization (CRO) is one of the biggest leverage points in marketing, but it’s often over...
In episode #2410, we discuss why batching content can actually hurt you sometimes. As you may already know, Eric and Neil batch content for this podcast, sometimes up to four or five weeks in advance....