In episode #661, Eric and Neil discuss whether you should ever change your company’s name. Tune in to find out if they think this is a fatal error or a smart move.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Should You Ever Change Your Company Name?
- [00:35] Moz was formally SEOMoz, but they went through a process where they had to change domains.
- [00:57] When you change domains, you lose 5-10% of your link juice.
- [01:10] Moz wrote a blog post about their name change and how it affected the company.
- [01:20] If you are going to make the change, make sure that you have your SEO bases covered.
- [01:28] You could potentially lose traffic and revenue.
- [01:31] If you change the name of your company/domain, you will need a 301 Redirect for the homepage and all the internal pages.
- [01:50] The main reason to change your name is if the name keeps you pigeon-holed.
- [02:06] If you have a ton of negative press you can’t fix, it’s a good idea to change your company’s name.
- [02:10] Comcast had a lot of bad press that was unavoidable.
- [02:33] They changed their cable product to Xfinity and tried to rebrand.
- [02:56] It helped to bury the negative press.
- [03:27] From a reputation management standpoint, a name change makes sense.
- [03:44] Eric knows a person who was sued by the SEC. His name was so tainted by this, that he had to legally change his name to avoid the stink.
- [04:01] TechCrunch had MobileCrunch, but eventually dropped it to be under one name.
- [04:26] If you have a strong brand, consider reputation management before you scrap your name.
- [04:33] When Eric first took over Singlegrain, he didn’t change the name because there was no equity in the website.
- [05:15] That’s all for today!
- [05:19] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...