In Episode #396, Eric and Neil discuss whether or not you should invest in typical marketing swag. Tune in to learn why Eric and Neil won’t spend a cent on swag while Sujan, Single Grain’s founder, blogged that he made $500K from it.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Should You Invest In Marketing Swag?
- 00:37 – Single Grain’s founder, Sujan Patel, had a lot of shirts and he made $500K out of it
- 00:50 – Personally, Eric won’t invest into swag
- 00:58 – Although, he has gotten useful swag from conferences before, and every time he uses the swag, he remembers the conference
- 01:18 – “You want to have stuff that people actually use”
- 01:37 – Neil believes that if you’re a big company, giving away swag is a good strategy in branding
- 01:45 – Swag can be too expensive for startups and it’s difficult to track your ROI from it
- 02:29 – If you want to try something, go to Startup Drugz instead
- 03:04 – Neil doesn’t create swag and would not even if he was a big company
- 03:30 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription of Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 04:25 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 04:38 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Big companies with extra funds can spend on swag because it can be a good branding strategy—“can” is the keyword.
- If you are going to invest in swag, make it as usable as possible, and don’t go cheap—you want it to last for a while.
- Because of the associated costs with having quality swag most startups and small businesses shouldn’t consider it.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2412, we discuss how this plus ChatGPT will turbocharge your marketing results. When we say “this,” we’re referring to our process, which starts with recording the podcast you’re l...
In episode #2411, we talk about one easy way to skyrocket your conversions. We believe that conversion rate optimization (CRO) is one of the biggest leverage points in marketing, but it’s often over...
In episode #2410, we discuss why batching content can actually hurt you sometimes. As you may already know, Eric and Neil batch content for this podcast, sometimes up to four or five weeks in advance....