In Episode #396, Eric and Neil discuss whether or not you should invest in typical marketing swag. Tune in to learn why Eric and Neil won’t spend a cent on swag while Sujan, Single Grain’s founder, blogged that he made $500K from it.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Should You Invest In Marketing Swag?
- 00:37 – Single Grain’s founder, Sujan Patel, had a lot of shirts and he made $500K out of it
- 00:50 – Personally, Eric won’t invest into swag
- 00:58 – Although, he has gotten useful swag from conferences before, and every time he uses the swag, he remembers the conference
- 01:18 – “You want to have stuff that people actually use”
- 01:37 – Neil believes that if you’re a big company, giving away swag is a good strategy in branding
- 01:45 – Swag can be too expensive for startups and it’s difficult to track your ROI from it
- 02:29 – If you want to try something, go to Startup Drugz instead
- 03:04 – Neil doesn’t create swag and would not even if he was a big company
- 03:30 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription of Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 04:25 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 04:38 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Big companies with extra funds can spend on swag because it can be a good branding strategy—“can” is the keyword.
- If you are going to invest in swag, make it as usable as possible, and don’t go cheap—you want it to last for a while.
- Because of the associated costs with having quality swag most startups and small businesses shouldn’t consider it.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...