In episode #693, Eric and Neil discuss the pros and cons of raising venture capital. Tune in to hear why the juice may not be worth the squeeze.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Should You Raise Venture Capital
- [00:40] Neil still raises venture capital.
- [00:50] If your idea is huge and you’re trying to swing for the fences, it is hard to do without raising venture capital.
- [01:18] It depends on what you’re trying to do with your business.
- [01:40] Rand Fishkin got so diluted while running Moz, that it ended up hurting him in the long run.
- [01:55] He could have sold the business for a profit, but did not take advantage of this opportunity.
- [02:20] His VC’s dissuaded him from taking what would have been a great deal.
- [02:35] VC’s can often steer you away from a clear vision, because they have their own desires.
- [03:25] Instead of trying to take money to make life easier up front. Think about the long term consequences.
- [03:50] You could end up in a fundraising cycle.
- [04:15] Build an audience first, so you have some leverage when you go to VC’s.
- [04:35] Neil met with some private equity guys in New York.
- [04:52] Neil didn’t want to do monthly or quarterly meetings, nor did he want to be beholden to investors.
- [05:15] Raising money is more painful than just working for yourself and getting to call all the shots.
- [05:25] Read Vivid Vision; it will help you figure out your goals.
- [05:44] That’s all for today!
- [05:48] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2292, we talk about why you should focus on conversions first and then traffic. We believe that your conversion rate is the most vital metric when it comes to digital marketing. While both...
In episode #2291, Neil and Eric address why brands matter. A few episodes back, we spoke about the power of your brand story. Today, we discuss what it takes to become a brand leader in your category,...
In episode #2290, Neil and Eric discuss why Meta is adding more ad placements and what this means for you. As you may already know, Instagram is increasing its ad load with the launch of two new a...