In episode #693, Eric and Neil discuss the pros and cons of raising venture capital. Tune in to hear why the juice may not be worth the squeeze.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Should You Raise Venture Capital
- [00:40] Neil still raises venture capital.
- [00:50] If your idea is huge and you’re trying to swing for the fences, it is hard to do without raising venture capital.
- [01:18] It depends on what you’re trying to do with your business.
- [01:40] Rand Fishkin got so diluted while running Moz, that it ended up hurting him in the long run.
- [01:55] He could have sold the business for a profit, but did not take advantage of this opportunity.
- [02:20] His VC’s dissuaded him from taking what would have been a great deal.
- [02:35] VC’s can often steer you away from a clear vision, because they have their own desires.
- [03:25] Instead of trying to take money to make life easier up front. Think about the long term consequences.
- [03:50] You could end up in a fundraising cycle.
- [04:15] Build an audience first, so you have some leverage when you go to VC’s.
- [04:35] Neil met with some private equity guys in New York.
- [04:52] Neil didn’t want to do monthly or quarterly meetings, nor did he want to be beholden to investors.
- [05:15] Raising money is more painful than just working for yourself and getting to call all the shots.
- [05:25] Read Vivid Vision; it will help you figure out your goals.
- [05:44] That’s all for today!
- [05:48] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2408, Neil and Eric give you the recipe for success with any content! With the wide variety of social media channels out there, it can feel overwhelming to create enough content for all of...
In episode #2407, Neil and Eric delve into how to nail a public speaking performance. They are currently in the middle of the speaking season, having just returned from one conference and getting read...
In episode #2406, Eric and Neil explore the question, “When should you hire offshore marketing talent?” Whether your goal is to save money or expand your business across the globe, hiring offshore...