In episode #802, Eric and Neil discuss the #1 thing you need to grow a business successfully. Tune in to hear what you absolutely must do to be a success.
Eric and Neil have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: The #1 Thing You Need to Do to Grow Any Business Successfully
- [00:35] The #1 thing is not a marketing tactic, it’s people.
- [00:50] Without a great team, you are not going to grow your business.
- [01:37] CEO’s have three responsibilities: Keeping money in the bank, driving the vision, and recruiting.
- [01:47] The Dropbox CEO recently talked about how recruiting is always top of mind for him.
- [02:16] Bill Gates said the first 20 people at Microsoft built the company.
- [03:03] If an employee isn’t a cultural fit, they aren’t going to stick around.
- [03:15] Only hire people who are smarter than you and from whom you can learn.
- [03:25] Make sure you really interview each applicant and talk to their references. Figure out if they are truly a good fit.
- [03:47] Always test people out.
- [03:56] Make sure multiple people on your team interview each person.
- [04:11] Make sure they lay out a plan of action for their first few weeks or months at the company.
- [05:05] Do indirect reference checks (basically, be a detective).
- [05:30] Sometimes, Eric has gotten glowing reviews and other times, he has gotten more realistic information.
- [06:15] You have to have each person ask different types of questions in the interviews.
- [06:32] The CEO of Drift secretly tests people in interviews: he gives each candidate a cup of water and sees if they throw it away at the end of the interview.
- [06:35] Eric also does this and doesn’t hire anyone who doesn’t clean up after themselves.
- [07:18] If you can get people who can do the work, but won’t be a long-term fit, you are rolling the dice on mercenaries.
- [07:48] That’s it for today!
- [07:54] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting. Also rate and review to help Eric and Neil meet their goal of 1 Million downloads per month.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
At the Leveling Up Founders' event, Tamara Loehr discusses her best practices in business, managing offshore teams abroad, and the significance of establishing a learning management system process. TI...
In episode #2562, we are discussing creator economy 2.0 and the different (theoretical) dynamics at play that make it difficult to build a creator startup in 2023. Tune in to hear a breakdown of the 4...
Ravi Theja Yada explains why behavioral analytics is superior to traditional metrics when it comes to understanding your consumers at the Leveling Up Founders' event. TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:...