In episode #1263, we share the biggest mistakes Neil made early in his career. Having a long-term perspective on success and doing the brand work yourself rather than handing it to someone else are two of the most significant lessons he has learned. Tune in to hear why you need to partner with people who have experience in the field before investing in anything.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:25] Today’s topic: The Biggest Mistake Neil Made When He First Started.
- [00:34] Neil’s age when he started his career and how long he has been at it.
- [00:54] Paying other people to help with marketing and getting ripped off.
- [01:19] Learning that it takes at least three years to do well.
- [01:37] Do not keep changing businesses and constantly shift your focus.
- [01:50] Ensure that your business idea has a big TAM (total addressable market).
- [02:09] Cultivate a long-term perspective rather than focusing on the day-to-day.
- [02:45] How Neil lost over $1 million by trying to start a hosting company.
- [03:29] The need to partner with people who know the industry/field you are getting into.
- [04:06] What went wrong when he tried to sell products in the education space.
- [04:32] Build your brand yourself — don’t leave it up to someone else — and be all in.
- [05:07] To stay updated with events and learn more about our mastermind, go to the Marketing School site for more information.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with Us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...