In Episode #177, Eric and Neil discuss the ideal URL structure for SEO. People often overlook the importance of their URL address and end up losing out on organic traffic. Tune in as Eric and Neil discuss how to clean up your URL and share their own experiences about how they improved their own URLs.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: The Ideal URL Structure for SEO
- 01:00 – Usual structure of a webpage explained
- 01:40 – Having a lot of categories on your URL makes it difficult for Google to crawl it
- 01:55 – For example: NeilPatel.com/makeup/allthemakeup
- 02:10 – The categories tell Google the topical relevancy
- 02:30 – Neil’s current URL structure
- 02:45 – There are a lot of titles and categories—this confuses Google, making it difficult to discern what category it should fall under
- 02:56 – Neil’s blog posts don’t rank as well as his guide
- 03:30 – URL should NOT be taken for granted
- 03:45 – Neil shares what he learned from his searches
- 03:52 – Less than 6% of results on page one of results have a messy URL
- 04:20 – Cut out sub folders if they’re not necessary
- 05:05 – Keep URL structures clean and use subfolders—subdomains don’t rank as well as subfolders
- 05:16 – The debate SEOs are having about Quora
- 05:39 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- URLs should NOT be taken for granted—It plays a big role with your organic traffic.
- The more titles and categories, the more difficult for Google to crawl your URL and website.
- Keep URL structures clean and use subfolders. Subdomains don’t rank as well as subfolders.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #1542, we give you a few ways to gather priceless customer research for free! Sound too good to be true? Well it isn’t! From online searches and surveys to simple tools that give you amaz...
In episode #1541, we talk about the marketing trends that we are most excited about for Q4! From the often-mentioned voice search and paid subscriptions, to stories on LinkedIn and beyond, these trend...
In episode #1540, we share our new, number one Instagram strategy for growing brand new accounts. Growing an Instagram can take a long time, but if you go Live with people who have huge followings, do...