In episode #814, Eric and Neil discuss what you could learn from Southwest Airlines. Tune in to hear which tactics you should rip from this company.
Eric and Neil have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Ugly Is the New Sexy: What You Can Learn From Southwest Airlines
- [00:50] Titles are key, which is why they titled this episode as such.
- [01:04] Neil tries to avoid Southwest, because he finds they are always delayed.
- [01:40] Eric’s last Southwest flight was delayed and problematic.
- [02:10] When Southwest first launched, they focused on serving three cities in Texas.
- [02:27] It took Southwest three years to get rolling and gain more customers. The first flights were sparsely populated.
- [02:44] The lesson here is to niche down at first.
- [02:54] Southwest has a hub and spoke model of business.
- [03:20] The airline does a lot of layovers, which allows them to ensure fuller flights and better prices.
- [04:15] You can either be efficient or offer exceptional service, but you can’t have both.
- [05:05] Southwest is not the best priced airline, but they have a “cool atmosphere” and free alcoholic beverages.
- [05:45] Optimize for efficiency, but allow for mistakes/refunds.
- [06:15] Think of your business as a funnel and check for leaks.
- [06:42] That’s it for today!
- [06:48] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting. Also rate and review to help Eric and Neil meet their goal of 1 Million downloads per month. Hopefully, we’ll see you at the live event in L.A.!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2408, Neil and Eric give you the recipe for success with any content! With the wide variety of social media channels out there, it can feel overwhelming to create enough content for all of...
In episode #2407, Neil and Eric delve into how to nail a public speaking performance. They are currently in the middle of the speaking season, having just returned from one conference and getting read...
In episode #2406, Eric and Neil explore the question, “When should you hire offshore marketing talent?” Whether your goal is to save money or expand your business across the globe, hiring offshore...