In episode #814, Eric and Neil discuss what you could learn from Southwest Airlines. Tune in to hear which tactics you should rip from this company.
Eric and Neil have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Ugly Is the New Sexy: What You Can Learn From Southwest Airlines
- [00:50] Titles are key, which is why they titled this episode as such.
- [01:04] Neil tries to avoid Southwest, because he finds they are always delayed.
- [01:40] Eric’s last Southwest flight was delayed and problematic.
- [02:10] When Southwest first launched, they focused on serving three cities in Texas.
- [02:27] It took Southwest three years to get rolling and gain more customers. The first flights were sparsely populated.
- [02:44] The lesson here is to niche down at first.
- [02:54] Southwest has a hub and spoke model of business.
- [03:20] The airline does a lot of layovers, which allows them to ensure fuller flights and better prices.
- [04:15] You can either be efficient or offer exceptional service, but you can’t have both.
- [05:05] Southwest is not the best priced airline, but they have a “cool atmosphere” and free alcoholic beverages.
- [05:45] Optimize for efficiency, but allow for mistakes/refunds.
- [06:15] Think of your business as a funnel and check for leaks.
- [06:42] That’s it for today!
- [06:48] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting. Also rate and review to help Eric and Neil meet their goal of 1 Million downloads per month. Hopefully, we’ll see you at the live event in L.A.!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...