In episode #1321, we advise you on dealing with team members who are not leveling up as expected. Before simply firing someone, call them in for a few conversations and try to help them rise to their full potential. Tune in to hear how bringing in outside experts can help with the mentoring process!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:25] Today’s topic: What To Do If A Team Member Isn’t Leveling Up.
- [00:37] On the topic of leveling up, check our Eric’s Leveling Up podcast!
- [00:41] When someone is not improving or growing stronger over time.
- [00:51] Hiring someone and learning that they are not growing into new roles/responsibilities.
- [01:14] It could also be that a person is failing to hit the required numbers.
- [01:52] Having a straightforward conversation with an underperforming team member.
- [02:06] Calling someone in the second time and when it might be time for them to go.
- [02:18] Keep in mind that it takes some people longer to find their groove in a new role.
- [02:44] Advice for talking to people during high-stake conversations.
- [03:19] Lead with facts first and then say how you feel — no one can argue with emotions.
- [03:30] Give people three chances and have the appropriate documentation in place.
- [04:15] Check out Robert Glazer’s stuff on Mindful Transitions when letting someone go.
- [04:38] Remember the employees have financial obligations and can’t just be cut off.
- [05:15] What to do if someone is not leveling up but they have the potential for it.
- [06:05] To stay updated with events and learn more about our mastermind, go to the Marketing School site for more information.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with Us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2189, Neil and Eric discuss some of the best-kept YouTube success secrets! We share what has worked for us, as well as the mistakes we have made and how you can avoid them. You’ll also l...
In episode #2188, we talk about our boneheaded YouTube mistake with Marketing School. Tuning in, you’ll find out how Libsyn helped us automate and grow our views, the mistake we made when we stopped...
In episode #2187, we discuss how Eric is using product-led growth for his NFT project. Tuning in, you’ll learn the definition of product-led growth and find out how you can implement it in the world...