In episode #1321, we advise you on dealing with team members who are not leveling up as expected. Before simply firing someone, call them in for a few conversations and try to help them rise to their full potential. Tune in to hear how bringing in outside experts can help with the mentoring process!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:25] Today’s topic: What To Do If A Team Member Isn’t Leveling Up.
- [00:37] On the topic of leveling up, check our Eric’s Leveling Up podcast!
- [00:41] When someone is not improving or growing stronger over time.
- [00:51] Hiring someone and learning that they are not growing into new roles/responsibilities.
- [01:14] It could also be that a person is failing to hit the required numbers.
- [01:52] Having a straightforward conversation with an underperforming team member.
- [02:06] Calling someone in the second time and when it might be time for them to go.
- [02:18] Keep in mind that it takes some people longer to find their groove in a new role.
- [02:44] Advice for talking to people during high-stake conversations.
- [03:19] Lead with facts first and then say how you feel — no one can argue with emotions.
- [03:30] Give people three chances and have the appropriate documentation in place.
- [04:15] Check out Robert Glazer’s stuff on Mindful Transitions when letting someone go.
- [04:38] Remember the employees have financial obligations and can’t just be cut off.
- [05:15] What to do if someone is not leveling up but they have the potential for it.
- [06:05] To stay updated with events and learn more about our mastermind, go to the Marketing School site for more information.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with Us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2412, we discuss how this plus ChatGPT will turbocharge your marketing results. When we say “this,” we’re referring to our process, which starts with recording the podcast you’re l...
In episode #2411, we talk about one easy way to skyrocket your conversions. We believe that conversion rate optimization (CRO) is one of the biggest leverage points in marketing, but it’s often over...
In episode #2410, we discuss why batching content can actually hurt you sometimes. As you may already know, Eric and Neil batch content for this podcast, sometimes up to four or five weeks in advance....