In Episode #297, Eric and Neil discuss what to look for in a CV as a recruiter for a marketing role. Tune in to learn why you shouldn’t be looking at CVs if you want to hire the crème of the crop and how LinkedIn, portfolios, and a good old-fashioned interview can be a better way to gauge the quality of your next hire.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: What to Look For in a CV as a Recruiter for a Marketing Role
- 00:48 – Looking at certain keywords on a CV depends on the role one is applying for
- 01:03 – Eric usually just scans the CV and pays more attention to their LinkedIn, social profiles and the examples that they have sent
- 01:21 – Neil doesn’t look at CVs at all; instead, he asks them about the work that they have done and checks and analyzes them
- 01:39 – If the portfolio is good, you can ask them a marketing problem and if you like their answers, go from there
- 01:54 – “It’s all about the hiring process, at the end of the day”
- 02:07 – The best people typically aren’t looking for job so you have to check them on LinkedIn
- 02:15 – The best people that Eric has hired was from looking at their LinkedIn profiles and other online work
- 02:23 – CVs are outdated
- 02:34 – You have to laser target the best people and hire a recruiter, if needed
- 02:51 – Your next hire might just be standing next to you, so always be on the lookout
- 03:00 – Neil likes to figure out people’s thought processes and how they think about things
- 03:18 – You can search for critical thinking questions, ask them and you’ll quickly know how they think
- 03:46 – If they don’t pay much attention to details, they can take your revenue down
- 04:02 – You want to have people who think outside of the box
- 04:22 – Eric and Neil don’t really look at CVs but if you have to, look for specific keywords
- 04:37 – Don’t blame people that you hired because it comes back to you and your process
- 04:46 – Marketing School is giving away a free subscription to FunnelDash which helps you track the lifetime ROI of your Facebook campaigns
- 05:06 – Subscribe, rate and review Marketing School
- 05:10 – Text MARKETINGSCHOOL to 33444
- 05:32 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- CVs are outdated – employers are looking online to assess one’s previous work and capabilities.
- The best people are not looking for job, so if you want to hire someone, you have to target them.
- Don’t blame the people that you hired when things go wrong because it comes back to you and your hiring process.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episodes #2303 and #2304, Neil and Eric share 10 marketing tips that actually work! As we head into 2023, we believe that things are going to get harder before they get easier, but there is a silve...
In episode #2302, we discuss how Airbnb’s brand versus search bet is actually paying off. According to the Wall Street Journal, Airbnb’s strategy of slashing ad spending to invest in bran...
In episode #2301, we talk about where we see Twitter going in the long term. After Elon Musk's recent acquisition of the social media platform, there has been much activity and speculation about where...