In Episode #472, Eric and Neil discuss what they learned from throwing their first conference. Tune in to hear about the benefits and value of throwing a live event or attending other events, the importance of connecting with your audience, and why making money is not the goal.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:35 – Today’s topic: What We Learned by Throwing Our First Conference
- 00:40 – Marketing School has had over 6 million downloads in a little over a year
- 00:45 – Decided to throw their first live Marketing School event
- 00:54 – It’s always good to build relationships
- 01:08 – Got to connect with people who listen to Marketing School – entrepreneurs and marketers – and answer their questions in person
- 01:20 – Never forget that the audience listening to your podcast, watching your videos, visiting your website – it’s a person in front of that computer screen
- 01:40 – If you don’t really connect with these people, you’re not going to know what makes them tick, how you can provide a better experience for them and, at the end of the day, how you can increase your sales
- 01:55 – “People like doing business with people.”
- 02:05 – When you build relationships, other things happen
- 02:26 – Eric and Neil see each other maybe once a month, but that in-person conversation before they record the show is really valuable
- 02:41 – The most value Eric gets from every conference he attends is getting to hang out with the speakers, going to those private dinners, etc.
- 02:56 – And you don’t have to throw your own event – go to other industry events; the more you go to, the better
- 03:22 – Neil’s goal is to connect with more people, so he was considering not charging for his public speaking but just attend as many conferences as possible in one year and see what happens
- 03:25 – The long-term benefit would outweigh the loss of income
- 03:35 – If you’re going to throw your own live event, don’t expect to make a lot of money
- 04:04 – It’s not about making money, it’s about connecting great people
- 04:09 – Eric’s team put this Marketing School event together
- 04:13 – Make sure you have a checklist so you have everything covered
- 04:30 – Marketing School is giving away 90-day FREE trial to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 04:38 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy
- 04:47 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Connecting with people at live events (yours or others) allows you to really understand what makes your audience tick so you can provide a better experience for them and, at the end of the day, increase your sales.
- “People like doing business with people.” When you build relationships, other things happen that you couldn’t have predicted.
- When throwing your own live event, don’t expect to make a lot of money – that’s not the goal.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #1434, we talk about six brilliant founders and CEOs that we are studying in 2020! From Ray Dalio and Bill Gates to Phil Knight and Patrick Collison, we cover a bunch of people that show us...
In episode #1433, you’ll hear whether you should build an audience before launching your product or not! We talk about two main approaches today that you can take depending on whether you have an ex...
In episode #1432, we are going to be giving you seven game-changing tools for marketers on a budget. This great session covers Eric and Neil’s famous self-made tools for optimizing traffic and SEO, ...