In episode #928, we discuss how you should respond to a PR crisis. Tune in to hear how you can salvage your company’s reputation.
We have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: What You Should Do in a PR Crisis
- [00:38] The Fyre Festival debacle is a great example of a PR crisis for a lot of the people involved.
- [01:10] Celebrities were paid to promote this event and the event basically didn’t exist.
- [01:26] There are two documentaries about it on Netflix and Hulu.
- [01:40] In the weeks leading up to the Fyre Festival, they realized they weren’t ready to throw the event.
- [02:15] The result was an insane situation.
- [02:38] Typically, it’s good to admit when you’re wrong, instead of doubling down like the Fyre Festival organizers.
- [03:00] Deal with a crisis by being transparent.
- [03:11] Be willing to take advice about what to do to remedy the problem.
- [03:35] Treehouse allowed some people to buy the service at a lower cost and pissed off the people who paid more.
- [04:07] Eric made a point to apologize to the CTO and investors. Admitting his mistake was helpful.
- [05:05] Also, Treehouse was called out for divulging sensitive information about their users, when they were not. They had to do a lot of damage control.
- [05:48] That’s all for today!
- [05:56] We hit our goal of 1 Million downloads! So, we will be throwing a free event in Los Angeles. Check out our website and continue listening to our podcast for further details.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episodes #2303 and #2304, Neil and Eric share 10 marketing tips that actually work! As we head into 2023, we believe that things are going to get harder before they get easier, but there is a silve...
In episode #2302, we discuss how Airbnb’s brand versus search bet is actually paying off. According to the Wall Street Journal, Airbnb’s strategy of slashing ad spending to invest in bran...
In episode #2301, we talk about where we see Twitter going in the long term. After Elon Musk's recent acquisition of the social media platform, there has been much activity and speculation about where...