In episode #524, Eric and Neil discuss what to do when you get hit by a Google algorithm update. Tune in to hear why diversification is so important.
Time-Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: What You Should Do When You Get Hit by a Google Algorithm Update
- [00:42] Eric likes to check Search Engine Roundtable, because they talk about algorithmic updates and signals from different SEO tools (Moz Cast).
- [01:02] He tries to correlate this information with things happening on his site and what steps he can take to fix the problems.
- [01:17] In December, Eric and Neil noticed their search traffic declining. So, they knew an update was happening.
- [01:48] They noticed people who were talking about losing their rankings.
- [01:57] SEroundtable is calling the current algorithm the “Maccabees Update”.
- [02:10] There is a trend where blogs are getting fewer hits. Sometimes you just have to wait it out and weather the storm.
- [02:55] Changing too many things in your content, could have adverse effects.
- [03:10] You don’t want to be reactionary.
- [03:41] Wait it out and follow the advice of the people at sites like SEroundtable.
- [04:13] You have to diversify. If you get hit with an algorithm change, that could be the difference between six or seven figures of business.
- [04:38] Organic traffic at Single Grain is about 60-70%.
- [05:02] To diversify his website, Eric would focus on emails.
- [05:20] Neil gets 50% organic traffic.
- [05:39] Eric tries to diversify further by focusing on the multiple touchpoints you can use to reach out to new followers (YouTube, etc.)
- [06:23] Neil is getting a million views per month.
- [06:50] Paid ads is a great way to get your numbers up. Companies wouldn’t keep spending money unless there was an ROI.
- [07:05] You can use services like Taboola and Outbrain, re-marketing pixels, and social media as marketing channels.
- [07:20] Tweet ten times per day and see if it increases your website traffic. Experiment!
- [07:40] Come up with ways to get increased traffic through your different marketing channels.
- [07:44] Use push notifications.
- [07:57] Drift or Facebook Messenger are great live chat options to gain followers.
- [08:07] You can tie Facebook Messenger in with Zapier.
- [08:21] Use the signals they are using to gauge their traffic and success.
- [08:41] That’s it for today!
- [08:43] Go to singlegrain.com/giveaway if you want to get in on a special giveaway opportunity!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2626, We discuss the concept of the creativity faucet and how it can help overcome writer's block and generate better content. We suggest using Twitter or reading to get ideas and warm up ...
In episode #2625, We discuss the difference between audience TAM (Total Addressable Market) and revenue TAM. We explain that venture capitalists often look at the total addressable market when investi...
In episode #2624, We discuss the breakdown of the New York Times' revenue. We highlight the significant role of affiliate marketing in generating income for the company, with Wirecutter affiliate comm...