In episode #538 of Marketing School, Eric and Neil discuss what you should do when your revenue tanks. Tune in to hear why you should have a plan of action for this eventuality and tips on how to overcome this hurdle.
Time-Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: What You Should Do When Your Revenue Tanks
- [00:37] Everyone has their ups and downs, no business keeps climbing forever.
- [00:53] Microsoft once invested in Apple, so that they wouldn’t go bankrupt and Microsoft wouldn’t end up facing antitrust lawsuits.
- [01:15] Revenue often tanks, because companies are distracted. You can’t lose focus on your main revenue source.
- [01:45] Revenue also drops, because companies stop innovating their core products.
- [02:15] Rocket Fuel is a great book about a visionary and an “integrator”.
- [02:45] You need to have preventative measures in place for when your revenue takes a dip.
- [02:55] Even consider short-term loans from places like Kabbage.
- [03:10] Someone from IBM once made a billion dollar mistake. The CEO simply called it a “billion dollar lesson”.
- [03:41] It’s important to have a plan for when your revenue tanks and learn from the mistakes that led you down this path.
- [04:45] Once everyone is on the same page with the same goal, you can get your company back on track.
- [05:00] Neil puts a person in charge of each aspect of the funnel or business process.
- [05:30] Once your revenue tanks, create your action plan.
- [05:52] Neil believes in firing the squeaky wheel, as opposed to considering it a lesson learned.
- [06:15] Survey your clients about their satisfaction levels.
- [07:04] Have a weekly sales meeting cadence, so it’s quick, informative, and concise.
- [08:10] Eric likes to use Ask Nicely for his surveys.
- [09:03] That’s it for today.
- [09:06] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special edition of Crazy Egg, the heat mapping tool.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episodes #2303 and #2304, Neil and Eric share 10 marketing tips that actually work! As we head into 2023, we believe that things are going to get harder before they get easier, but there is a silve...
In episode #2302, we discuss how Airbnb’s brand versus search bet is actually paying off. According to the Wall Street Journal, Airbnb’s strategy of slashing ad spending to invest in bran...
In episode #2301, we talk about where we see Twitter going in the long term. After Elon Musk's recent acquisition of the social media platform, there has been much activity and speculation about where...