In episode #774, Eric and Neil discuss when it’s ok to prune your content. Tune in to hear if you should ever flush old content.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: When to Keep, Cut, and Consolidate Your Content
- [00:54] You may find that some of your content is outdated.
- [01:22] Consolidate if you have five pages that discuss the same thing, combine them, because Google won’t know which one to rank first.
- [02:15] Search engines want to eliminate redundancy.
- [02:55] Removing old, outdated content can be a good idea, but often less content means less traffic.
- [03:05] People who prune content, prune the quality content that won’t affect traffic.
- [03:35] SuperMetrics or Screaming Frog are two great tools to use to crawl your website.
- [03:45] If these tools find pages that aren’t getting any traffic at all, it might be a good idea to prune those pages.
- [04:18] Use Google Analytics to look at your content that isn’t performing well.
- [04:35] When you cut those pages, you may lose more traffic than is being shown by GA. Remember you may be cutting out internal links when deleting content!
- [05:00] Before you cut, always try to improve the content.
- [05:25] Cross link all your content, as it will help boost rankings for all of your pages.
- [05:26] That’s all for today!
- [05:30] Eric and Neil are going to do a live event if they reach 1 Million downloads per month. So, please rate of review!
- [05:53] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #780, Eric and Neil discuss how they are going to reach 1 Million downloads per month. Tune in to hear how they are going to do this and why they set this goal....
In episode #779, Eric and Neil discuss how to convert more leads. Tune in to hear their great hack....
In episode #778, Eric and Neil discuss what you should do with your keywords that rank in the middle, but not the top of the first search page. Tune in to hear how you can improve your rankings....