In episode #774, Eric and Neil discuss when it’s ok to prune your content. Tune in to hear if you should ever flush old content.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: When to Keep, Cut, and Consolidate Your Content
- [00:54] You may find that some of your content is outdated.
- [01:22] Consolidate if you have five pages that discuss the same thing, combine them, because Google won’t know which one to rank first.
- [02:15] Search engines want to eliminate redundancy.
- [02:55] Removing old, outdated content can be a good idea, but often less content means less traffic.
- [03:05] People who prune content, prune the quality content that won’t affect traffic.
- [03:35] SuperMetrics or Screaming Frog are two great tools to use to crawl your website.
- [03:45] If these tools find pages that aren’t getting any traffic at all, it might be a good idea to prune those pages.
- [04:18] Use Google Analytics to look at your content that isn’t performing well.
- [04:35] When you cut those pages, you may lose more traffic than is being shown by GA. Remember you may be cutting out internal links when deleting content!
- [05:00] Before you cut, always try to improve the content.
- [05:25] Cross link all your content, as it will help boost rankings for all of your pages.
- [05:26] That’s all for today!
- [05:30] Eric and Neil are going to do a live event if they reach 1 Million downloads per month. So, please rate of review!
- [05:53] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #905, we discuss how digital marketing will change in 2019. Tune in to hear what changes are on the horizon....
In episode #904, we discuss whether marketing is actually an engineering problem. Tune in to hear our verdict....
In episode #903, we discuss how to recover from an algorithm update. Tune in to hear how you can prevent your traffic from going on a permanent decline....