In Episode #67, Neil and Eric discuss the importance of making a marketing hire—who it should be and why. Listen as Eric and Neil enumerate the positions you’ll want to fill in first, why getting somebody smarter than you is essential, and how paying a smaller salary with bonuses makes marketers work harder.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:28 – Today’s topic: Who should your first marketing hire be?
- 00:50 – Hire an executive assistant
- 01:26 – If you understand marketing within your organization, hire someone who compliments you
- 02:10 – Don’t hire someone with the same skill sets as you have
- 02:22 – You want people who are self sufficient
- 02:34 – Why you should not hire a big person
- 03:28 – You need a person that can evolve into a growth hacker
- 04:00 – In interviews, ask what applicants would do differently
- 04:24 – Hire someone tactical
- 05::26 – Your job as CEO is to hire people who are smarter than you
- 06:06 – It’s very hard to find great marketers
- 06:19 – Put people through a trial period
- 06:57 – Referrals is number one
- 07:11 – Forced Hiring Growth Everywhere
- 07:51 – Pay a smaller salary and pay a portion as a bonus
- 08:26 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Hire people who are smarter than you.
- Don’t hire “big people” if you’re still starting.
- Paying a smaller salary with bonuses will make your marketer work harder.
- Forced Hiring Growth Everywhere – Use this tactic to laser target marketers.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2291, Neil and Eric address why brands matter. A few episodes back, we spoke about the power of your brand story. Today, we discuss what it takes to become a brand leader in your category,...
In episode #2290, Neil and Eric discuss why Meta is adding more ad placements and what this means for you. As you may already know, Instagram is increasing its ad load with the launch of two new a...
In episode #2289, Neil and Eric talk about the key ingredient to successful ads. There’s a lot that goes into making ads that reach your audience, hook their attention, and make a lasting impression...