In episode #697, Eric and Neil discuss why they spend so much money on this podcast. Tune in to hear why giving something away for free can be a good idea.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Why We Spent $46,452 on Marketing School
- [00:42] Eric and Neil enjoy doing this podcast.
- [01:15] They struggled with quality and methods at first, but eventually found their stride.
- [01:21] Now, they spend money on intro and outro music, editing, studio time, etc.
- [01:40] Ads and hosting are another expense.
- [02:05] Neil doesn’t like spending money if he doesn’t have to.
- [02:49] Eric thinks he has made at least $100,000 from producing this podcast, while Neil thinks he has made $0.
- [03:22] Neil does the podcast because he believes in the “rule of seven”.
- [03:40] The podcast is one of the seven touchpoints he uses to remain top-of-mind.
- [04:20] Marketing is going to get harder and harder, so having multiple touchpoints is important.
- [05:00] Eric and Neil could make more money monetizing the podcast, but they have decided it’s more beneficial to keep it free.
- [05:15] This podcast was on the Entrepreneur Network, but they didn’t want to read ads during the show, so they got booted.
- [05:50] Conservatively, they could be making $200,000/year off the podcast alone.
- [06:10] They believe you should do things for free as long as you enjoy it and something good comes from it.
- [06:50] They are playing the long game.
- [07:10] Sometimes, they get great ideas while working on the podcasts the end up making them money.
- [07:50] That’s it for today!
- [07:53] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episodes #2303 and #2304, Neil and Eric share 10 marketing tips that actually work! As we head into 2023, we believe that things are going to get harder before they get easier, but there is a silve...
In episode #2302, we discuss how Airbnb’s brand versus search bet is actually paying off. According to the Wall Street Journal, Airbnb’s strategy of slashing ad spending to invest in bran...
In episode #2301, we talk about where we see Twitter going in the long term. After Elon Musk's recent acquisition of the social media platform, there has been much activity and speculation about where...