In episode #589, Eric and Neil explain why you should hire developers to work as marketers. Tune in to hear why developers are so good at marketing.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Why You Should Hire Developers as Marketers
- [00:35] Neil think developers are really good at understanding data and making changes.
- [00:54] They are amazing marketers because they are creative, make changes, and run tests without relying too heavily on others.
- [01:04] Marketers on the other hand, may have good ideas, but have to figure out how to get them implemented by someone else.
- [01:26] During Eric’s time at Treehouse, the CTO was a developer who would help him get things done.
- [01:36] The CTO didn’t know marketing, but learned as he went.
- [01:52] Engineers/Developers are self-motivated.
- [02:27] What Neil loves, is that they believe in the “quick and dirty” approach.
- [02:53] The one danger in hiring developers as marketers, is that they will sometimes run a lot of bad tests and you will lose revenue.
- [03:22] When you run a test and things go wrong, you will absolutely lose money.
- [03:52] Make sure that you have an individual contributor and also managers.
- [04:30] Neil thinks you should be paying $150,000-$200,000 for a good developer who understands marketing.
- [04:41] It doesn’t make sense for you to hire someone into this position unless you already have a business that is producing millions in revenue and you need more growth.
- [05:10] You don’t always have to pay a lot for good talent, but those with experience will cost more.
- [05:25] That’s all for today!
- [05:28] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #1814, Neil and Eric talk about their experiences with YouTube and share the ways they could improve and grow. Eric’s main point is around doubling down on one topic while Neil feels he c...
In episode #1813, we talk about our strategies for making the most out of conferences. While the content from conferences themselves is valuable, the networking and business opportunities they bring t...
In episode #1812, Neil and Eric talk about why most people don’t finish courses. Trying to get someone to be engaged during an online course is not easy, which is why you have to go the extra mile t...